Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, brand new rat owner today! So I thought I might join one of these. Well, my rats names are Oreo (in memory of my Gerbil that passed away) and... Bo. xD My 4 year old sister named him that. So far, I'm liking them more than I thought I would, I got one out and he immediately started climbing on my shoulders and just hanging out! I'm very happy to be here, so see you guys around!

Oh, and, one of them sneezes a lot, but I just got him... can anyone run through some things that could be wrong with him? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome! Nothing wrong with the name Bo! :lol:

If you just got the boys it could be 'new home sneezes'. If he's got red stuff coming from his nose or eyes it may be an upper respirtory infection. All rats also have something called myco, some just have a lowered resistance to it. The final option is some sort of virus. If he's eating and drinking well and doesn't seem too sick give him a while to adapt to the new environment.

The ratties should get taken out every day and played with. This will make them all the more lovey towards you!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome! I liek the name Bo. My third ferret shares that name. :D

Like Forensic said, lots of rats get 'new home sniffles'. If he seems active and healthy otherwise, it should clear up within a week or so. :) Make sure you are using approprate bedding to keep the irratation down though. What are you using?

Either way, hope to see you around. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use aspen bedding. And by the way, I've been trying to take them out, but I try and pick them up and they run, should I grab them or continue being super gentle? I have been taking the top off the cage and letting them climb out and scurry around, but it's hard to get them back in. haha. I'm trying not to be too scary too them.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Zach! :)

I agree with the others, new home sneezes.

I would continue to go gently gently for a week or so, then, once they are settled in and getting a little more confident, you can get a bit more bold with them.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you set your hands in there and let them climb aboard that's super gentle. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I had a little scare last night about them play fighting, but otherwise, I'm loving them. They are both sneezing less and being more curious about getting on hands. They are also being A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more active. hahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts