Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!:p Yesterday I picked up my two new baby girls, Bailey and Ginny. Bailey is a black and white hooded dumbo with a star on her head and Ginny is a blue/grey and white hooded dumbo. I am a first time rat owner so everything they do freaks me out at the moment bc Im not sure if its normal. Any advice on anything to do with rats in general would be largely appreciated! x

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome, and congrats! :)

Would love to see pictures! I plan to eventually add a dumbo to my clan. I got 2 girls right now myself as well.

You can have them out to play with, you can even teach them tricks! I recently watched a few videos on YouTube on rat tricks, it's pretty awesome.
Spend lot's of time with them, give them some fresh veggies/fruits or some treats (sparingly of course!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aw your rats are adorable! you are very lucky!

At the moment my two girls are extremely manic and run around their cage like I've given them coke or something! I want to get them out for free-ranging but I'm worried they will run off and I'll never get them back in. They are also still getting used me and my smell so are pretty timid and won't allow to me stroke or handle them. Any tips for free-ranging time/space and taming my baby girls? (sorry for all the questions I'm very new to this!)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you!

No worries! It's always good to ask questions, no matter how small or silly they may seem :)

I am still working on that myself. I just got my girls 2 weeks ago (officially 2 weeks tomorrow) My black and white one is more curious, I can get her out pretty easily. Only just yesterday was I able to really pet her without her trying to run off.

My white one on the other hand is pretty hard to get out. She is going to take work, she is super shy I can't really pet her much either yet. She has only just started letting me touch the side of her face while letting her sniff me.

For free ranging at the moment, we lay out a big thick towel on the bed. I lay on the bed blocking off one side and my husband sits at the foot of the bed blocking the other. That seems to work for us.
For now we are just getting one out at a time. We plan on doing a make shift play pin area soon enough to have them both out in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You're welcome! Also, thank you and goodnluck with your babies as well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, Im a first time rat parent too of two boys called Merry and Pippin. And also very nervous about the right way to treat them. If you've found any useful tips i would be grateful to hear them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! My advice would be get strait into immersion because the younger they are the easier it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts