Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am, after a fifteen year hiatus, a happy second-time rat parent! He was adopted from the internet, as a single rat with apparent rat aggression issues which I'm educating myself about. I an voting to give him some time to settle in and get comfortable with our family (this household has cats and the old one didn't, so I hesitate to begin rat introduction until I am confident that he doesn't consider the cats to be a threat) before building a colony. He doesn't seem concerned about them, but, better safe than sorry! I hope that being a part of this community can help me feel confident about meeting his physical and psychological needs.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the ratforum. It is good of you to take in a problem rat and give him a home. You will find this forum to be a great source of information on your journey through rehabilitation. Does he have a name?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His name is Duke! I have experience in rehabilitating behavioral issues in dogs and cats from working with the humane society and rescues, but rats are a new thing. I'm really looking forward to being able to benefit from the expertise of others!

So far my interpretation of him is that he is a very social, very emotionally intuitive kind of creature but who is a lot lower on the food chain that what I'm used to. He definitely seems to want to communicate with us, though he seems more like a child than having another adult in the house! My dream is to figure out a way to build a colony for him, and since he's the only rat right now I guess I have the dubious benefit of being able to plan everything out as much as possible. While I am able to have a good bit of out of cage time with him I am not able to be there for him 24/7 like other rats would be!

Until I have resolved the social situation, what I've been doing is actually just treating him like I would a parrot. His cage goes out into the common area (right next to my desk actually) when I'm home so he gets secondary interaction all the time, and at least an hour of out of cage time. I am starting the foundations of clicker training since I figure if I can do it with bettas and cats he should be a champ, and so far so good!

He's really smart and affectionate. I feel like I really lucked out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts