Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My name is Lexie and I am very new to the rat world. I have never had rats before, only hamsters and mice (for about a week). I've had hamsters for years but I could never bond with them and they never could learn any tricks.
I have been tinking about getting a rat but my mom...
well..
she's fixed on the fact that they "stink". Do they really stink?

Also, if I do get a rat, would a hairless be okay? My mom has allergies t lots of things and I'm thinking the non-fur would help?

Thanks! Also, Hi there ^~^

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will definitely find rats to be different as far as interactions go from hamsters and mice. They are much more intelligent, can be potty trained, have the potential to learn tricks (though training can be a matter of patience) and bond very well with their owners and other ratties.
Rats themselves do not stink. They are very clean animals. They tend to poop in one area of their cage and as mentioned can be litter trained, but they do pee. Whatever type of way you prefer to prep your cage whether you use bedding or liners these must be changed at regular intervals depending on how many rats you have. I have two and I change the liners every 3 days or so and I have no issues with smell. Mine also use a litter box.
I have no idea about whether or not a hairless is less allergenic than one covered in fur, I'm sure someone will answer that.
If you are deciding on getting a rat and cant spend lots of time with it each day, consider getting two. The amount of care required is not greatly increased and the times that you cannot be with your rat will be much less stressfull as the one can have another to play with and generally have company. Rats are social animals and being alone does not suit them well.
Best of luck, hope you get your rat(s).

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The difference between hamsters & rats are like night and day. I like to think that rats are far more like your average cat or dog then to a hamster. They are highly intelligent, social and interactive hands on pets. They develop strong loving bonds with us :)

All animals bring with them some odor. Urine does not smell good at all. My cat's litterbox isn't a lovely smell. My dog just always seems to smell like well a dog lol.

How bad the smell is depends on many factors- how many rats you have, how large your cage is, what type of bedding you are using, and ofcourse how often you clean the cage. Attempt to litter train your rats and stay on top of cleaning their cage and it should be fine. Also consider an air purifier in the room. You might also consider females as they tend to mark less and that can help with the smell.

Also I second wheelrunner, get two rats of the same gender! They will still bond with you just as deeply and are really no more effort then one. But they will be 100% more happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My rats get a bit stinky sometimes, but it's not something you notice unless you're really close to them. I should also note that my rats are both male. Changing the litter in their cage once a week will keep any strong odours away,my cage just smells like the litter I use. So as long as you have the time to clean your rat cage and bath your rats every so often, the odours won't be an issue. Toilet training helps too, if you can get your rats into the habit of doing their business in a small tray in the cage then you can empty that tray every day to avoid the cage getting too pungent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When people tell me they are dirty or they stink I respond with 'Animals are only as dirty as their environment. ...Except ferrets...'

Everything has a smell, but the only time I smell my boys is when I bury my face in their fur and inhale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts