Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have three rats that I adopted recently from my college. I've had rats before and feel pretty experienced, but I have no idea what's going on with my girl Max. She has what looks like a ring of black around her bottom teeth, she can't close her mouth and she isn't eating much. She is drooling and her fur is dirty because she hasn't been able to wash. Please help me figure out what's wrong with her!!! Rat Gerbil Muridae Whiskers Hamster Nose Gerbil Hand Ear Finger sorry i know these pictures aren't the best she's not happy and is squirming, help me please!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
She needs to go to the vet immediately. My first thought is an abscessed tooth, but it's hard to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, false alarm everyone; I recently wrapped the cage in chicken wire because one of Max's sisters kept escaping. I used cable ties to secure the chicken wire outside of the cage and somehow she managed to pull the tie through the cage and managed to get it caught on her teeth. Word to the wise: find another way to secure chicken wire, also olive oil did the trick to loosen the plastic enough to get it off of her teeth. LEARN FROM ME. Max is now very happy and washing herself, she's such a good girl and didn't fight me at all other than pushing my finger away with her little paws.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I may, use thick blunt wire to secure cages!!! Rats cannot bend thick copper wire, Cut it and use pliers to secure, then file the edges or secure it in a way that the tips can't be reached or nibbled! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts