Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Nikki and my fiance and I have two cats and two goldfish, we used to have a hamster but he recently passed away and ive been thinking about gettinga pet rat, someone is giving one away on my local classifieds and I really want one, but my girlfriend says we can't get one. She says they're to expensive but I really want one! Please help!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Rats can be expensive, but no more than any other pet. The initial cost of getting the cage and accessories can be expensive and you have to consider possible vet bills down the road, but in between I wouldn't say they're any more expensive than any other pet. Getting just one rat is not a good idea though. Rats are very social creatures and regardless of the amount of time you think you can spend with them, rats are mostly nocturnal and need companionship during that time and while you're away. Lone rats can be highly destructive and depressed which can lead to health issues. I'd say, look at all the things you need to get started (cage, bedding, food, etc.) and make a list of how much they will cost. If it comes out to something you and your partner feel is feasible, then maybe she will change her mind. If not then getting rats is probably not a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for your reply! I was looking into adopting two girls from our small animal adoption center but they were already gone, I am trying to see if there are any breeders here in Newfoundland, Canada, but so far I have not found any within the distance for myself to travel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Instead of going through a breeder I would try to find a local rat rescue! Save a rattie who needs love and a new home. :) Unfortunately there aren't any rescues near me. However, I did save Sebastian from Petsmart, where he was being neglected. He needs a lot of care, love and socialization but he's getting better and gets along with my other rat, Simon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking at Hoppy Homes in St John's right now, they have two rats but aren't advertised yet because they were so neglected and abused and still need a lot of care and socialization! They told me they were found in a small cage, in a vacant apartment with no food or water for a week! To think someone just left them there to die, it makes me so upset :'(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ugh, I hate to think that someone could just be that heartless. What happened to every creature great and small being just as entitled to a good life as something bigger and more popular? I hope they find a good home and that you find some ratties to love whether they be rescue or babies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have new born babies and 6 week old babies! If you want a rat i would definitely would love to part with one. Our two. Or six or seven lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do what I did... Just arrive home with them and as soon as she/he starts ranting, put on youtube and type: "Rats doing tricks" or "Cute rat pets". Worked like a charm....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I absolutely love my pet fancy rat, they have so much personality and are so smart it's ridiculous. But keep in mind when getting a pet rat they're lucky if they reach their 3rd birthday. Mines one of the few I know of to live past 3 and she's 4 almost 5. They're amazing pets but the span of their life can be hard to handle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I'm new to this forum and looking to adopt a pet rat in Brooklyn. I haven't had any luck with rescue organizations here because none of them have been replying to me for months, if anyone has a friendly handled boy in New York City, I would love to take him into my loving home with a big rat playroom with lots of toys and a cozy cage with comfy rat houses. I already own three boys but they are very young and timid still, I have two cages and I'm willing to adopt a spayed female or just any friendly handled boys. you can reach me at 917-732-6968

1 - 11 of 11 Posts