Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really sorry I'm normally a very cheerful and bubbly person, I'm just so worried I'm near tears......
I'm a new rat owner and I need as much help as I can get I don't know what I'm doing
I think one of my rats has parasites and I don't know what to do......:(

·
Registered
624 Posts
I know that people use Revolution to get rid of parasite (if you're referring to lice/mites). A vet appointment may be a good idea! Keep your head up, things will be okay! :)

I've been told to not use it on pups, though!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mom doesn't want to take them to the vet....
And yes I've heard of using Revolution, I'm just worried about treating them without being sure of what's wrong?

And thank you, I really needed to hear that.
I don't want to lose my girls :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
Any time. :)

Are they itching a lot? What's going on exactly?

Would you be able to tell me some more symptoms, possibly post pictures?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's just my one girl, and she's not itching constantly, but I guess you could say a lot.

Well here goes. One of my rats has had one or two scab- looking things on her for a while now, and I thought that they were just from rough play, but I just checked her over and she has more than 7 on her now. I think maybe it's parasites? I don't see any black dots on her (and she's a white rat) so I don't think it's lice, but mites maybe? I found a piece of fur in her cage with one of the scab-things stuck on it, I guess I loosened it when I was checking her over. I took some photos of it, here: sta.sh/0ceaof2tnly
sta.sh/010egzd58dko
You can zoom in for a better look (I'm talking about the red part, the black part is hair)

Do you recognize this? Is it a piece of scab or a parasite? And if you know what it is, what can I do? I checked over my other rat, and she doesn't seem to have it............
I don't know what to do, and I'm really scared about it... I doubt my mom will let me take her to a vet.........

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recognize this! My Pepperjack just passed away from the same thing. He was old and the vet couldn't do much buy the time I got him there. I thought the new hammock I put in the cage was making him itch, I took it out and nothing changed. I thought the new bedding I was using was disagreeing with him, I changed it back and nothing changed. I read that certain foods could cause itching, I changed it and he continued to get worse... Finally I tried giving him a bath and STILL didn't help... I would just say get her to the vet as soon as possible.... Try to convince your mom, I guess.... I couldn't save my Pepper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey there - I have a rat who has had PLENTY of skin issues. Normally it's from her scratching herself a lot. She's been treated with topical ointment, prednisone, antibiotics, and revolution (just to be safe). I was convinced it was mites when I first took her to the vet, but it was actually a bacterial infection. Her skin would get mostly better, but never got all the way better. My vet said skin problems is a big issue for rats.

Things you can do at home before you go - wash the areas, use a little peroxide on the areas, dry it well (I'd blow on it), and dab on some neosporin with a q-tip. Keep their hammocks and cage very clean (think about changing the hammock out daily because they pee in their hammocks and turns to ammonia after it sits wet for a bit). I tried these things before going to the vet and had no luck, but as I said it was a bacterial infection which had taken root, so she needed the oral antibiotics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm so sorry you lost your ratty....... at least you gave her a good life <3
And I did manage to convince my mom to take both her and my other rattie to the vet, and he'll probably give me revolution or something or other to give to them to shoo the parasites away; I think they'll be fine, my scabbie ratty is about a year old, so not an old lady yet, and you can only see the scabs if you push her fur back- the scabs are small yet. And my other rat hasn't showed any symptoms yet.

Thank you <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts