Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My real name is not Wolfie, but that has been my online nickname for years. :)

I have wanted a pet rat for many, many years, and I'm finally going to be getting one soon. I decided to register here to find some good info on rat care, although I've already done a lot of research. I've already picked out a breeder, so now it's just a matter of waiting!
;D

I've written a little (tiny) bit about myself on my profile. Things I enjoy include playing piano (including as part of an orchestra), volunteering at my church (I'm Catholic), spending time with animals as much as possible, and of course my schoolwork (and I love anything related to science). I'm also a long-time Nancy Drew fan, for those of you who are familiar with the books or the PC games.

Looking forward to meeting you all!
~Wolfie

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hello Wolfie:) Love the nickname since I love wolves.

Piece of advice, never have just one rat unless it's the very unusual case of a rat being agressive to other rats in general. also always have a cage, never an aquarium.

We have some stuff in common:) I also play piano and am Catholic. I'm not familiar with Nancy Drew except hearing the name, but I love mysteries like Sherlock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. :) I love wolves too.

Oh, I should have been more specific - I definitely don't plan on keeping my rat alone! However, as a first time rat owner, I think it will work out best for me to get my first baby a couple of months before getting another. I'll make sure I give her plenty of attention until she has a playmate.

I was only going to get an aquarium with a topper, but now it looks like that's not the best idea. Thanks for the advice. If you have any cage recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Wow, we really do have a lot in common! I thought for sure that I'd be the only Catholic here, and probably the only piano player too. I'm not super familiar with Sherlock, but I have read the Sherlock Holmes book The Hound of the Baskervilles, which I really liked.

~Wolfie

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was having trouble finding a cage that was cheap enough for me, so I bought a large birdcage and modified it to be rat escape proof, as well as adding upper levels. Bird cages tend to be more common on Craigslist (and on tree lawns) than do rat or ferret cages.
Though the birdcage is of course temporary--currently saving up for a CN.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, you two! I've ended up deciding on the Martin's Rat Skyscraper for now. It has the same dimensions as the aquarium and topper that I was originally planning on, but it is all wire. I liked that size because it gave the rats plenty of room, and the cage has plenty of levels (to be covered with fleece, of course). I will definitely look into both of your suggestions when I need a temporary quarantine cage for my second rat in a couple of months. I looked up the My First Home cage on Amazon and it looked perfect for a quarantine cage, but our local PetSmart might not carry it, in which a good bird cage with narrow spaces between the bars would work great too (and woul probably be cheaper, for a temporary cage).

Ilovemybabyrats: I think I've heard of Sherlock. My friend may be obsessed with it. I don't watch much TV, and she is always changing what she watches, so I'm not sure. I know she likes a series called Castle; I think it might be detective-y.

Erinsweeney: Ah, the critter nation is my dream cage! Someday, when my mom doesn't mind the cage taking over her living room more than it already will be. We had to pay away a bunch of stuff to make room. :D

~Wolfie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice to meet you! Interested to see how your introductions go after a while of your rat being alone--I also am dealing with that right now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts