Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

My name is Kyla, I'm currently going to uni and have 6 rats. 4 girls and 2 boys!

I've been into rats for quite a while but never got around to making an account here. Today I was looking at the cage (a FN) and wondering where I could get tips on making it more cozy for the babies, found this site. :) Very excited to start posting and meeting all of your lovely ratties.

I guess I'll introduce myself and my rats, my apologies for the lack of pictures. Soon! :)

I'm a 20 year old psych student, just now moving my rats into my new apartment. It's a squeeze with such a massive cage! I love animals and also have a Syrian hamster named Little Bear.

My lady rats are; Roux, the old dumbo lady, Moose, the other old lady, Ophelia, the biggest trouble maker I have EVER met, and Ladybug, the little deaf PEW.

The boy-rats are; Lecter, big fat mean looking thing--actually the biggest softie on the planet, and Florian, Lecter's brother and a weenie. He relies on Lecter to protect him from all things. <3

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a psych student I imagine you must find rats so intriguing!! And a perfect candidate for so many rats... Hahah. Do you have them potty trained? I'm not really hip and my rats always use to poop in one place! Now my new rat is cooler than all of them except he won't poop in one place and I always find poop all over the room. It's a serious problem haha. I too am in college so I was interested in your story :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh definitely! :) Funny story about that actually!! Before I got my little one, Ladybug, I had 4 ladies in total (one died recently) and since they were all either elderly or already used to the way things are, I wanted to get a new baby specifically to try and clicker train. I thought it would be fun to make a serious attempt at trick training! When I got Ladybug all was well and I was letting her settle in for a couple weeks and grow a little...when something seemed off. Turns out, she's completely deaf. The only deaf rat I've ever had in my life! Of course that would happen when I bought her specifically for training...haha I do love her though! She's a sweetie pie and will live out her life as a normal rattie with the others.

None of mine are potty trained right now :( I'm pretty sure it's going to be too late...ugh. I'd like to try that someday though. I also have been using some bedding in the bottom of their FN but it makes a huge mess and I'd like to switch to fleece eventually. I want to get people's ideas first though on how to make it stink less, and how to make it less likely to be chewed up within a day! I need to find ways to better decorate and give them things to play with :) Their cage is looking SO bare compared to everyone here!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I understand being in a apartment with a huge cage!

My husband and I live in a small 1 bdrm with 2 cats and 2 rats. I did have a bigger cage but switched to the Petco Rat Manor. I eventually want to get a CN or FN for my girls.
It is a tight fit, but wouldn't have it any other way :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! :)

Ugh, yes! I'm in a 2bdrm by myself...but the problem is it's an attic level so most of the ceilings are slanted! There are only a couple of walls tall enough for the cage, and some of them I can't use because of doors and things.

Once I get it in, though, it will be great to have them around!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dang that's tough. Hopefully it will work out though!

It is definitely awesome to have them around!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts