Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day. i just bought two rats for my children. both female. the rats also.
i have a query. if i let the rats onto the floor will they run for their lives or will they loiter about? and how far down is a rat willing or likely to jump if left to play on an elevated surface for the purpose of keeping it from running away or jumping off. i have researched a fair bit so far but am unable to find the answer for these questions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i would say, it depends on the rat's personality. do they like to climb on you? smell/lick you? are they willing to be pet and fed by hand? if they are very social, chances are if put on the ground, they will maybe run around into a corner, but most likely just to check it out! i recommend putting them on your shoulder and sitting on the ground and wait for them to climb down and explore around a bit. it's best to stay on the floor so they know you are looking after them and that they have something to come back to incase they feel threatened.

and as for the jumping, if they are feeling very nervous and scared and unfamiliar with their surroundings they may jump in a panic. but if they are chill and relaxed, they will be aware and *not* jump because they can sense there is no close platform to jump down to. but they may be crafty and clever enough to find a safe way to get down by climbing on something. (^-^)

hehe let me know how they are doing!! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, it all depends on your rats personality. If your rat is very skitish, it will prabably bolt to the nearest dark spot or try to climb up your leg. Handle them alot and gradually they will get used to you. They will jump from something if frightened or motivated with food (Basil loves to jump from my bed ontop of my cats! It scares the crap out of em :D ) But that also depends on your rats personality. Have fun with your ratties!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts