Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is tally from the uk and i own two beautiful girl rats at the moment, the second set i have owned so far. The girls are ashleigh and misty and roughly 1 1/2 years old.
i've come here to get some support as ashleigh has been ill recently and also had a growth removed. with all this invasive treatment she has had she has turned to biting me sometimes. Anyway i will post more details on the behaviour forum when i get a chance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She had a respiratory infection as well so she has needed to have antibiotics before the surgery and i think she is just unhappy at the moment. which is understabled if i was picked up and forced atibiotics for 10 days and then knocked out and operated on i would be moody and not too happy to be picked up anymore. So i just need to get her trust back.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you heard of immersion? I think maybe a session of this would go a long way with her. There's a thread about it somewhere by RatDaddy, is she fully recovered from everything now? Are you reprimanding her when she bites? I know the little thing has been through a lot but she still needs to know that biting is not an acceptable way to deal with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't like reprimanding my rats, at most i will make a shhh noise say if they go near a wire. otherwise i just put them back in the cage and leave them alone if they misbehave. I'll go look at the immersion stuff and see if it works. She has had all her treatment now just waiting for the wound to completely heal from surgery.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You really should tell her off though, ratties are smart and you're currently teaching her that when she wants you to go away all she has to do is bite you and hey presto she ends up away from you back in her cage! You need to teach her that no you cannot bite me to get what you want, you are in charge not your rat. She will forgive you every time :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i just managed to get a stroking session with her without a bite. Also she never bites me outside her cage so i opened the cage door and got close to her. looked her right in the eyes and it took 5 mins before she gave me any submission signals, the whole time i had my hand in her cage next to her, once she rolled onto her side i was able to give her a good stroke and scratch behind the ears. She even rubbed her head against my hand. I wasn't expecting her to be that easy but she again never hurts me when she bites i just feel her teeth around my finger. meanwhile i was doing that misty (her sister) is trying to groom my whole arm (this is typical for misty).
Anyway i have a dead arm now but ashleigh seems a lot calmer like she was before the surgery, i think its probably because i didn't handle her has much the first day after surgery. Also today i have managed to get her to eat outside of her cage with me near by. Seems like its trust we both needed to get back.
On another note she had her last visit to the vet today and everything is healing really well. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts