Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, sorta newish rat owner here. I've had rats before as a kid, but it's been years. Then I saw this absolutely beautiful girl at one of our local pet stores. I'd never seen a rat her color and I couldn't help myself. I knew she needed a friend, so I scoured around and found someone who was selling a litter of "hairless" babies. I went to go pick up this adorable, double rex girl. Now I have three girls: Myrtle, Parker, and Sophie who are absolutely the best rats in the whole wide world. Myrtle is a few months old and very adventurous. She loooooves my dogs (they are never ever left together unsupervised), especially my Shepherd mix. She's always grooming him or crawling on him or sticking her face up his nostrils to clean inside his nose because, well, it's dirty up there! She even sticks her head into his mouth to groom his teeth...which I'm none to comfortable with, but he takes it in stride. My other dog, she chases around and snuggles with. It's quite adorable. She rides around on my shoulder or in my hood quite well and will steal food off my fork if I let her. Ten minutes ago she was spilling a bowl of popcorn so she could steal a piece even though she had six pieces she'd already stolen and only nibbled on. Oy!

Sophie is a very quiet and sweet rex girl. She's not shy, but prefers to do her own thing. The breeder says she and Parker are five weeks. They're so tiny they both fit in one of my hands at the same time. She's fond of snuggling with me and giving kisses. I swear she's made a hobby of sticking her nose into my ear and watching me squirm. She's also the first to come to the front of their cage when I say hi in the morning or before I take them out. She loves climbing up the bars and rattling them for attention, but the second she's out she disappears to do her own exploring. She mostly ignores the dogs.

Parker is the little Myrtle mini me. She's my dog chasing, treat stealing, hairless little weirdo. She grooms me obsessively and frequently tries to shove her whole head into my mouth to clean my teeth. Usually, she hangs with her sister, but she also follows Myrtle around and comes up on my shoulder for snuggles. My goodness is she warm. Right now she's sitting on my shoulder combing through my hair and licking my neck. She loves to stretch out on my tummy and take naps. It's so incredibly, heart-meltingly cute.

I was a little nervous introducing them since Myrtle is nearly twice the size of the other two, but the three of them hit it off right away and have had no problems whatsoever. The first day she met them, Myrtle went from a quiet cuddler to rat on crack kind of happy. She was in a tank with her younger sisters at the pet store, so I guess they must remind her of them. I wasn't setting out to own rats again. They just kind of found me. Either way, I am so happy to have my girls. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She was literally galloping around the bed hopping and playing, leaping over dogs, running up and giving me kisses, rushing back to lick her new sisters, bulldozing over my nearly empty yogurt cup (brat), rushing back to steal yogurt...tackling the 80lb dog before sticking her face up his nose and trying to grab his whiskers when he pulled back xD It was hilarious and pictures coming tomorrow when I have actual light :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got me some pictures this mornin :)

Myrtle in all her dumbo glory and pretty much the only time she stood still during the whole 'photo shoot.' Second pic is to show her color better. I have no idea what her color is called, but she is soooo soft.
IMG_2052[1].jpg IMG_2063[1].jpg

Miss Sophie explorin around the covers. You can see her fur is all wavy and very, very soft. Both her and Parker have these cute, little curly whiskers.
IMG_2054[1].jpg IMG_2062[1].jpg

And finally the Parker, who was wondering why on earth I wasn't wearing that sweatshirt so she could snuggle into it. :)
IMG_2072[1].jpg IMG_2071[1].jpg IMG_2059[1].jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts