Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to rats (I only ever had a rabbit when I was young) and I just got my baby boys today! The pet store I got them from was a local one and apparently have been getting theirs from a breeder for 16 years.

That said, I'm a little worried about my boys, Eddie Riggs, the grey and white one, and Mello, the fawn one, are both sneezing. Mello is also really sedate, not sure if it's due to the sickness or he's just like that, he's also a lot smaller than Eddie Riggs, though I know they aren't from litter, it's a little concerning. They are both high white too, I think. You can't really see, but Mello has a white spot on his forehead and Eddie looks like a blaze? What's the risk of megacolon happening now?

Eddie Riggs:
Chinchilla Rat Rodent Hamster Muridae Rat Mammal Muridae Gerbil Rodent

Mello:
Vertebrate Rat Mammal Mouse Hamster Hand Dough Gerbil

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you're really concerned about something it couldn't hurt to schedule a new pet well-check with the vet. :)

A lot of the time, new rats sneeze when they've just gotten home. They're adjusting to their environment. As long as it isn't excessive or accompanied by a lot of reddish discharge from the nose, or labored breathing, they're probably just getting used to their new surroundings. If they're not from the same litter it's entirely possible that Mello is younger. Also, some rats are just smaller than others. Some of my boys (full grown) are around 550 grams, others are 650+ grams.

I'm not sure about megacolon. I'm not sure a head spot (Mello) qualifies as high white, though I could be wrong.

They're very very cute, congratulations on your new ratties!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the world of rats! They're absolutely gorgeous boys too!

If they're just sneezing for now, you may want to give it a day or two. (Or, the better option: if you're able, take them to the vet now. Just for a general check-up and to meet your new exotic vet. I found it useful to determine that my first vet was absolutely horrible and have now moved on to a much better vet. This would also serve to make sure they don't have any illnesses you're unaware of. :3) My first two rats came from a pet store and I was instantly on high alert when I brought them home. Izumi had very labored breathing and was acting very lethargic compared to Dela. I believe she had late stages of pneumonia or something similar. She passed that night. If either of them act like this or you get a bad feeling from them, I would take them to the vet immediately and not wait the two days to make sure it's not new home sniffles. I hope they're okay!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and advice! Mello has been acting pretty lethargic compared to Eddie (though he's kinda a brat in the cage, chasing Eddie around and stealing his noms) but when he's outside the cage, he's either very shy or very sedate. I might go ahead and have a check up done! Thanks again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts