Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm Splinter90. I am new to these forums and am considering buying a pair of rats as pets. In case my screen name isn't a dead give away, I was drawn to the idea of keeping pet rats by TMNT, and I've been debating it since I was about 17. I'm 24 now, and the only thing that's really holding me back is the fact that I haven't kept a rodent for a pet since I was about nine. That time it was a hamster named Skippy who lived for a year. I also have two cats and a betta fish, but the cats have adjusted well enough to the betta and would not be allowed in the room where the rats would be kept unsupervised. I'd probably move them to another room when/if I take the rats out of their cage. Right now, however, I'm still in the research/planning phase of getting a new pet(s), and I am looking at buying a used rodent cage off Craigslist (size 30"x22"x22"). If you guys have any advice or tips you'd like to share with me about keeping rats, I'd really appreciate it. For now, I'll just be trying to learn as much as possible.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi there. Nice to meet you. :)

I currently have 6 rattlings and all though I'm a newish rat owner, I literally do research about my fur babies everyday. (I have a problem, I know.)

Were you planning on getting male or female?
(Male rats are typically lazier than female, but it really depends on personality.)

Do you have a picture of the used rodent cage? I'd check for damage because rats can potentially chew the bars and I'd watch out for damage.

I personally prefer fleece bedding over litter, but it requires a lot of up-keep (especially for 6, anyway.)

If you have any specific questions, let me knooow?!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts