Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

On most sites and networks I am known as GalaxyMeow, but you can call me Galaxy if you want! :)
I have some knowledge in rodent care as I come from a hamster-care community, and although it may differ from regular fancy rats or dumbo rats, I find it quite similar to what I've read on ASF rats! Mind you, I'm a complete newbie to anything rat and the online care sheets may have been %100 wrong.
I have come here to learn about ASFs and ask some questions about them. I heard they were actually mice, but when I was googling care I saw a thread posted here about them so I figured it was worth a try.

Currently I have a moggie/unknown breed cat named Poof, an australian shepherd named Kona, a winter white hamster named Stitch, and I'm hopefully getting a syrian hamster as soon as tomorrow, but I don't know what I'd name it. In the future I've decide to possibly keep some ASFs as I've mentioned before. I have a large hamster cage that is ~720 square inches (5 square feet, plus levels that I haven't included in that calculation), but it's made of wood. That's where I don't know if ASFs are the best idea, because all I hear about them everywhere is that they chew on EVERYTHING. Of course, I also have a 20 gallon long tank which could work, but the whole point of me looking at getting ASFs was because I'm technically allowed to have them (Parents HATE regular/big rats, have no idea why though!), and I want to have more experiences than just owning hamsters.

I also have two 11 inch plastic wheels, but I'm concerned about chewing, again. I thought a mesh wheel could be better, but I was concerned that, like hamsters, it could badly hurt their feet. Also, I read that someone's rats had chewed the paint off and rusted the wheel D:

I'd love it if someone could help me with my concerns! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have zero clue about ASFs. Rats are pretty far different from hamsters but not sure about ASFs :) I am sure someone can help you out soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts