Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im new to rat owning any tips would be great i have two males "i think" one is a hooded rat the other is albino both are about a month/ month and a half old.
i will get picks up soon the albino has a HUGE ballsack so i know hes male but the hooded is questionably hard to tell....
if anyone could help me figure out 1. how to edit my profile and make albums
2. think of names for my rats once i find out if the hooded is male or female.

luvz krissy

OK GOT SUM PICKS IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME THE HOODEDS SEX SO I KNOW IF I NEED TO SEPERATE PLS TELL ME

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As for your profile look at the left sid e of your screen and in the "Main menu" section click on "My Account"

·
Registered
722 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm not great with sexing rats... all I know is that females have nipples, while males don't (it's easier to see when you get the rat wet). You might have better luck posting this question in the accidental litters section?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Male rats have very obvious testicles so as soon as they've dropped, at about 5-6 weeks of age, you'll see the bulge under their tail. If they're older than six weeks and you can't see an obvious bulge there, then it's a girl.

Females come on heat every 4 days or so, so you need to separate them! If you trust your vet with rats, get one or both desexed. The female is the better one to get desexed as there are other obvious health benefits, such as reducing their risk of mamory and pituitary tumours later in life. But be warned, it's a big operation and the risk to her life is real. I've had six girls spayed and the last one, Blackie, went into shock and passed away a few hours after the operation. It was quite devestating. Make sure your vet knows what they're doing first! The boys are an easier operation, so if you don't want to risk it, get your boy fixed instead.

As for names, go with your instinct!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts