Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new here, and don't have my babies yet, but next Saturday I will be making an almost 4 hr trip to pick up my boys. One black and one blue dumbo. I can't wait. Can anyone tell me their ratties favorite toys and other must have's? I only have the cage and one toy so far. I will find out what the breeder recommends for food, but im not sure about the bedding. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. :D

Lisa

·
Registered
14 Posts
First of all, welcome, and I hope your little fellows enjoy the trip to their new home.

I am currently using FreshMate litter for my boys, but there are very mixed reviews on it around here. My ratties are sneezing a bit more than I'd like, but they are my first ratties and they're still new to the house, so I can't judge whether it's their litter or just the new-house-sneezles. YesterdaysNews seems to have a solid standing among most people on the forum, haven't heard anything bad about that for bedding, may want to give it a shot.

My ratties are currently having a ball with a shoebox I put in their cage. I took off the lid and cut a hold in both ends so it's like a tunnel. I can put my hand in and kind of tip Pinkie over, he'll flop around and sprint through it, then pounce on the back of my hand from the other side. They'll also sprint and slide across the top of it and flop onto their bedding, it's beyond adorable! I do believe ratties will make toys of anything you put in their cage, to be honest, just make sure it's safe for them to play with.

-Tryxx

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome!! I'm sure if you made a post in the General Topics everyone would be glad to help! As for my rats, I have only owned girls but things I have found they love are, toilet paper tubes, wheels, and hammocks! (apparently not many rats like wheels but all 8 of my girls have) Things I would avoid: Kaytee brand, and those plastic balls of doom. Some people have had success with them but only one of my girls showed intrest, plus there is very poor air circulation and sight in there so I quite using it. Hope this helps, gooodluck and I can't wait to see some picks of your new boys!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have only had my girls a week, but by far their favorite 'toy' was a home made fleece tunnel I hung from the top of their cage. When they aren't running around like maniacs that is where they hide. They also enjoy empty paper towel tubes and cardboard boxes.

We use Yesterday's News but not for bedding only in their litter box. They are probably 80% litter trained and took to it very naturally. They crawl down from their fleece tunnel, do their duty, then go back to the tunnel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
xkatiexbabyx said:
hi i'm new to!! and thats wierd that 1 of ur rats is blue do u die it or something?
It's just a name for grey. Animals with grey fur are often refered to as blue, I guess because it kinda looks blue to some people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts