Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my little rat sometimes looks like she's hiccuping, the first time I saw her doing it I though she was going to throw up, but she just does this movement and it makes her squeak. Is something wrong or does she just have the hiccups?

#2 My rat isn't very tame. She doesn't like to be held very much at all and usually when I let her out she tries to run away! Any tips for calming her down?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
A couple of my boys get 'hiccups' right when they wake up. If they're distracted or given time they go away.

Rats do not (and can not) vomit, so if you see something that appears to be vomiting the rat should be taken to the vet, as they've got a bad illness or could be choking.

As for 'taming' the rat. Try wearing gloves and picking up the rat for a few minutes at a time, longer each time. Or get a pouch and put them in it and let them get up the gumption to explore you on their own time. Or sit on the bed and let them crawl all over you. Anything to get them used to your scent and size and such can help. Supposedly most rats can't be afraid of the same thing longer than twenty minutes, so keep that in mind (longer = better!)

Also, try to hold her away from the cage (so she cannot smell 'home' and try to run there).

For a while you may wish to handle her only in places where she's safe if she gets away from you.

Also, does she have a friend? That can really help calm them down.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Forensic said:
Also, does she have a friend? That can really help calm them down.
Absolutely! Our older girl really learned a lot from the younger rat... it brought her on leaps and bounds.

Adding on to what forensic said, you could try putting your girl in the front pocket of a hoodie or in your hood and letting her ride around with you, or just sit with her. That way, she is close to you and getting used to you, but not being handled so much, which is probably what makes her uncomfortable atm. As she gets more used to being around you, you should be able to handle her more.

Other than that, girls are often very hyper and prefer to be running around than sitting and cuddling. They are generally more cuddly when they are sleepy, so you could try doing more with her at those times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok yeah I think it was just hiccuping, she didn't throw up or come close to it.

I was just checking to make sure that rats even did that but thanks for clearing that up!

I think I'm going to put her in my hoodie pocket or something to see how that works out. She's getting better and better with the handeling but that hoodie thing is a great tip because she loves to hide in places like that.

thanks so much both of you!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You're welcome. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts