Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if rats get hiccups because two of my girls get these things that seem like hiccups but I'm not sure because my other two never do it and my friend's rat has never done it.

They've both had upper respiratory infections...do you guys think that might have something to do with it?

I hope it's nothing serious

<:3-)~

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys do get something that resembles hiccups... It's different from their sneezes...

·
Registered
506 Posts
lol one of my boys does this and I was about to ask about it. I suppose that I'll just wait and see what kind of answers you get about it. He also just got over a URI about a two weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
A lot of mine occasionally 'hiccup'. It's normal

It can be associated to a URI if the hiccuping is noisy and squeaky. Although, I've know them to hic-squeak and be perfectly healthy

Most hiccups I experience with my bunch are silent and the little guys just sit there jerking around for a few minutes. lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah my girls seem to be perfectly healthy I just thought it was odd because I've never seen any other rats do it.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Adie09 said:
yeah my girls seem to be perfectly healthy I just thought it was odd because I've never seen any other rats do it.
Out of my 18 - perhaps only 3 or 4 do it on a semi-regular basis

The first couple of times I saw it happen (with my first rats), I thought they were sick. I took my first to the vet about it when it happened twice in a week! :lol:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I think it happens more than we know, but it is usually only for less than a minute and we may not always see it. Hiccups should be silent, but if they are loud or squeaky you may be looking at a URI looming, or scarred lungs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd never seen a rat hiccup before until I got my girls, but then again I don't exactly get the time to stand in front of the rat cage all day at work to look for hiccups. n_n;

My girls hiccup occasionally. Mostly when I wake them up... I don't know if it does any good or not but I gently pat them on the back with my finger when they do. :) They seem to enjoy it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My boy hiccups some-- but I asked my sister I think the first time it happened and she said hiccups are normal except when they are loud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts