Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Hello,

So, as some of you may have seen last night - I have a very sick rat. Millie is sick too, but not nearly as bad. After reading many of your comments and seeing a message sent to me on Instagram about just how quickly her lungs could worsen, I decided to take my girls to the vet today. I went to one that accepts walk ins and emergencies. It probably saved their lives. However, the bad news is that it's pneumonia. The doc listened to her lungs and it's apparently really bad. He prescribed .06 of baytril for both girls twice a day, since Millie has been exposed and is experiencing light to moderate sneezing. However, someone else told me that this dosage is really high even for a full grown rat - and mine are just babies, somewhere from 6 to 8 weeks I would guess. He did weigh Daisy - she hardly registered on the scale. Did he give such a high dose because it was so severe? From what I've read, most people give their rats .02. I also know it's a really strong medication, so I'm still a little worried. I'm super glad I brought them in, but as this was more of an emergency thing I still would like to take them to the vet in DFW when I come home next weekend. There are two vets down the road from me that specialize in pocket pets. There's one just a skip away from me that someone said was really good. Do you that taking them to another vet is a good idea or does that seem a little excessive? I only want what's best, for my girls.

Also, I read somewhere that some vets use oxygen chambers to help alleviate respiratory pain in rats? Has anyone ever heard of this or gone to a vet that does it (or has used the treatment for their own rats)? I'd love to know more about it if this is an option.

Thanks to all of you wonderful rat lovers for helping me. You're such an engaging and supportive community, and I wouldn't have known what to do without all of your help.

·
Registered
996 Posts
What is the concentration of the medicine? You can't really compare the dose to other doses because the mix has different ratios. I have one bottle of Baytril that I give .3 cc to them and another I give .5 cc and another I give .08 cc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts