Rat Forum banner

High white?!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Minky 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm a newbie here, and new to owning rats (which I have t yet got). I posted a picture of the rats I'm getting on another part of the forum, and someone commented saying that they were high whites and something to do with megacolon? Bearing in mind I'm new to all this, I have NO idea what this means.. They said something about me living in the UK (which I do) having something to do with it also? I'm just really confused (and a little scared, I admit). Is there something wrong with my babies? :(A little advice would be truly appreciated, thank you :) http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/HaleCry/image.jpg1_zpsohjr0p8p.jpg

#3 ·
Heh. I responded in the other post for you. :3
I think you'll be fine. Kipperbo1 is right. I think Megacolon is something rats possibly can have if they're over here in USA/Canada.

But I gave you a link and told you what it was in the other post, doll.

#5 ·
I'm sorry to say but if they are high whites they usually get a disease called mega colon which is lethal but you never know so they may or may not be.

#6 ·
I have high white rats who do not have megacolon. There are plenty of high whites who remain healthy, even though the markings are genetically linked to a higher risk of being born with megacolon. It most often tends to strike in babies so if they are making it past weaning and making it to adulthood, chances are they are safe.

However, if a high white breeds, they have a higher chance of having megacolon-affected babies, to my understanding.

#7 ·
High whites carry the gene for megacolon, but that doesn't mean they will necessarily get megacolon. I had a black eyed white rat (extremely high white) who was perfectly healthy.

Megacolon can appear any time, but it generally shows up in very young rats. So the rule of thumb is that high whites should not be bred. And high white babies should be adopted with extreme caution. But if a mature high white needs a home, and seems healthy, then there's no reason not to adopt.

By the way, there's a sticky here about megacolon under the Rat Health thread. Read all about it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.