Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so lost right now,
I know plenty about rats compared to the average Joe.... however Im still learning about all the different colors, and types of rats...
I have a 1+ year old Male Rue, who I know is a cream colored hooded rat, and he has red eyes if that matters at all...... and he just 3 days ago unfortunately got a hold of my baby girl snoopy who is about 3 months old.... she is a black hooded rat that I adopted with her 3 sisters....
We dont know yet if she is pregnant.... we are totally hoping shes not cause shes just a babe herself but we are preparing
I was reading about megacolon and high whites and I am kinda freaking out, even though I don't even necessarily know what High-whites refer to.... I just generally took it as rats that have a lot of white fur......
Which 3 out of 5 my rats do
However Snoopy has another sister who is gray hooded rats, and none of them have ever showed signs of Megacolon, and rue never has either
ANd as I stated before I'm not even sure if them being white even has anything to do with megacolon and the high risk, but I just dont want the babies to have anything wrong with them....
I hope this makes some sense, I just want to know if I should be worried at all since the parents do not have it.... or maybe I can be explained what is really is.....
Thanks so much for helping a consfused rat mommy.....and maybe grandma...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Do you have pics? High white doesn't necessarilly mean mostly white, it's the name for the gene usually expressed as unusual white markings. It's hard to explain. But if you have pictures I or other members might be able to tell.

Hopefully someone can explain it better than me ): But yeah you wouldn't be able to tell really until the babies start to get all cute and have open eyes and full fur unfortunately since we don't have any pedigrees to go off of. Have you considered an e-spay?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hooded isn't really a 'high-white' marker far as I'm aware, but a hooded could carry high-white, I suppose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
I will get some pics up here tonight or tomorrow as soon as i get to my camera
I have considered an e-spay but I do not think it is an option for me, as I will be caring for all of these babies myself and not putting them off onto anyone else.
Unless I know that these babies are at risk of anything, I plan to let the pregnancy take its course, if she is indeed pregnant, and get my boys fixed up so that this does not accidentally happen again

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
might as well go ahead & get the boys fixed up now regardless as to whether this one is pregnant or not because putting it off is only going to open the door for yet more oops

I posted one place before. Sure we can all have an oops but how many oopsies does one actually get before we tip toe over into being careless & negligent?

I'm hopeful your little girl isn't preggers because she is too young.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have already gone a step forward and am making an appointment tomorrow for Rue to get check up before he can be neutered
Believe me Im not a careless person, and I feel awful that I could have let this happen and now have learned from it
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is Rue the possible dad

This is the possible Momma Snoopy

This is her sister squirrely

Bailey and Beauty are the 2 gray girlies below

all the girlies!

·
Registered
184 Posts
your ratties are codes? lol ^^

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Extremely doubtful they are high white. Since you have standard hoodies in the extended family as well. Sometimes you will get hooded rats andrats with high white markings in a litter, those are the ones who might carry it, but yours look normal :D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it hasn't been mentioned so i will, perhaps you've already figured it out though. megacolon is something that can be carried by adults but an adult rat will not suffer from it. megacolon is fatal, normally taking a rat baby even before they are ready to leave mom though there is something called late onset megacolon which can be managed, to my knowledge the rat that is afflicted with it will not reach their 1st birthday.

megacolon is a genetic defect that makes it difficult or impossible for a rat to poop. in extreme cases the rat can be born without a sphincter though more commonly they are born with no to very little ability to move their bowls. in such cases a dedicated owner can sometimes prolong life and ease pain by helping to stimulate the rat to poop by massage and strictly monitoring diet. i'm unsure if there is any medications that can help this situation.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i was under the impression that megacolon was a genetic defect and its presence (if active and not just a carrier of the gene) would be made known before a rat's first birthday, which often results from that rat dying before it reaches the first birthday. perhaps our definition of an adult is a bit different. i don't consider them adult until their first birthday. for me from 5 months until they are 12 months i consider them more of an adolescent or teenager.

however, i will admit i have only ever read about megacolon, and perhaps what i read is not completely correct. what i posted is merely my understanding of megacolon, i thought i was right, but i'm not a doctor either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts