Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought about it, one of my rats, who is black hooded, has a white spot on her bottom lip, is she high white? She is 5 months old (aprox)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe hooded rats are high white rats...not sure though.
Hooded isn't a marking associated with high white, which isn't to say a hooded rat can't have high white it just isn't a high risk marking. You bring up a good point though, exactly what "high white" means is kind of confusing. Take the hooded rat for example, the white color does go pretty high on the sides of the rat, so why not? Another way I've seen it explained is white where there normally wouldn't be white. Again, why not the hooded rat? So it's definitely understandable that there's confusion on it.

I can't define it well myself. "I know it when I see it" kind of, but trouble defining it. Blazes are typically high white, but not always. For example UK Roan aren't high white but have a blaze. But it's not just blazes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hooded is not considered "high white." There are certain markings that are always indicative of sox(10)dom/dominant spotting markings/patterns ("high white"), such as banded, cap-stripe, BEWs, and chinchilla. However, there are quite a few markings that can be high white, or can be "safe" recessive spotting genes, such as variegated, blazed, etc. Looking at these, there is no way to tell which they are just by appearance. The matter is complicated further in that many folks have crossed the dominant spotting genes (the problematic ones) with the recessive "safe" genes, which means that a supposedly safe line could throw megacolon with the right combination. Hence why it is VERY important to know the genetics and lineage of any rats before they are bred.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, that's a split-capped I think, but I can't see enough of the rat to determine if it's a cap-stripe or not.

This is a cap-stripe.

capstripe.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh sorry didn't realize you needed to see more, she is all white except for her head. I just saw cap stripe and since I know she is capped and has a white line in her cap I was worried!!

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
She looks regular split-capped to me, which may or may not be associated with dominant spotting/dangerous markings. Without the stripe on the back it's not the tell-tale cap-stripe marking, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ooh I almost forgot about these guys. Classic high whites. I had to euthanize their sister due to megacolon.

Martin is a blazed banded (another marking that is always dominant spotting):

Flicker, another split-cap striped

Robin is just a "striped" - no cap. Screams high white.

However, this is their very "normal" looking sibling, Raven. She is just a capped.

Her litter was definitely affected by megacolon, but had Raven come in by herself I would not have known her to be at risk. Hence why it is important to know the lineages of rats before breeding them! If I had bred Raven, since she looks "safe," that would have been very bad. (Disclaimer - I do not and have never bred rats.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts