Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping much smarter people here then me can help me out :) I read online that breeding a siamese with a pew will give you all himalayan babies. Will breeding a himalayan with a pew also give all himalayan babies? Or would the litter be mixed.

I am asking because of my accidental litter, the mom is himalayan and the dad was a PEW. I have someone interested in himalayan girls but I also read that they don't get their points until around 9 weeks of age. So I wouldn't be able to tell Himalayan from PEW until then....

I have tried searching for the answer but everything talks about siamese lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not sure about which you would get, I'd assume it would be mixed but I can tell you that they don't get their points until their older. It was a surprise to me when my little boy developed his points. (I even tried to wash them off thinking he got into something) I would just tell the potential adopters that they are surprise babies!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It would be mixed. Some Himilayan some pew. In theory 60 50 but rats rarely do the expected.

It's worth adding though that most rats people assume are Himilayan are actually siamese that are either pale or marked.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_20140914_090125_090.jpg This is the mom. I was told she was Himalayan.

I let the woman know that I can't guarantee their color at 6 weeks. Hopefully she still is interested.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My boy was around 5 weeks when I got him 3 week later his nose was brown and just today I noticed his rump changing colors as well! They are full of surprises

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well if you rehome them at 7 weeks of age which is i think the recommend age? Could be wrong but the points might be starting to show by then. You could also just wait till they are 9 weeks old :p

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Shes a marked girl, probably hooded, you can tell from her pale feet and tail. This means she could be himi or smeeze, can you see any creamy colour over her head, maybe a bit on her shoulders and back too or is she perfectly white beyond her nose point. The photo isnt very clear.

Siamese babies are often creamy as little ones, i've not seen many himi babies (theres very few breeder quality PEWs over here in the uk so we dont tend to get many himi's), however both varieties tend towards darker ruby coloured eyes rather than a pews pink eyes. I would see what the babies eye colour is like when there eyes open, feel free to bung them up here, and we might be able to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts