Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. We have an old boy who is probably around 2 years old.
Recently he had a preputial gland abscess lanced and irrigated under local. Ever since he came home, he's been a bit flat. He had a bit of hind leg degeneration beforehand - losing muscle round that area, shuffling, being a bit clumsy in the cage and needing low hammocks as he couldn't manage the high ones any more. But since his little procedure, he seems a bit worse. He also has a bit of trouble eating - he can grip food fine but doesnt seem to like balancing on his hind legs so we've been helping him. Thankfully he is using his drinker.
I gave him metacam yesterday in case he was in pain, although didn't notice any drastic difference.
He's been taking his antibiotics well, so hopefully they will kick in soon.
There are a few scenarios I'm been worrying about, but hopefully I'm worrying about nothing...
1. Did we hurt him at all while restraining him for the procedure?
2. Did the local anaesthetic somehow affect his legs?
3. Is the abscess area just really sore? (Its sort of in the groin area and was quite deep - sore tummy muscles/tummy area when he walks and sits up to eat?)
He's been such a brave little boy. I think he gets quite scared about going to the vet, but we humans know they are only trying to help him. He's just had a rough couple of days.馃惌馃拤馃挆

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE
Well, overnight good old Buster has perked up a lot! He is way more alert and can walk more or less like normal again. So happy to see him improving... he has never complained and is a real trouper. :)

Registered
I鈥檓 afraid I don鈥檛 have anything much to contribute but I鈥檓 so glad to hear that Buster seems to be on the mend! I hope he continues to get better. 鈽

1 - 3 of 3 Posts