Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just wanted to take a little time to introduce myself.
My name is Cassie and I am 20 years old. I am originally from the U.S. but relocated to the beautiful country of Mexico with my family about 8 months ago.
I have owned 8 rats in my lifetime. I love them, and they are truly lovely pets when they are cared for properly.
A few days ago I went to a local pet store here. Unfortunately rats are rarely sold as pets, but as food.
Normally I don't impulse buy nor do I buy from overcrowded feeder tanks. If I could I would get one from a rescue, but they simply do not exist here.
When I saw one helpless little guy on the verge of being attacked to death by the others...I knew that I had to take him home.
I decided to name him Remy from the Ratatouille fame.
He is EXTREMELY shy obviously. Of course I would be too if I was going to be fed to a snake. So I am holding him a little bit each day and letting him get used to my smell.
He has me a little worried however, because he is moving so very fast! I have never had one move so quickly!
I assume it's because he is scared??
I am going out this weekend to buy him a little companion. I am hoping that it will help him to calm down a little.
I want to take some pics, but he is so shy right now that I don't want to scare him anymore. I will try to do it later this afternoon.
Any tips for a rat rescued from a feeder tank?

Thanks a lot for reading! I hope to get to know everyone and their little ratties very soon!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome~

You did a good thing rescuing him, and you're doing the next best thing by getting him a buddy. Once he grows attached to you, he'll become quite loving. It can take a week or so, but with constant interaction, he'll come along fast.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good for you rescuing him! My first Pew was from a feeder tank and shes such a lovey little thing. There are not too many breeders here in my area either. Cant wait to see pics :)
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
527 Posts
welcome and good job on rescuing the little boy!
just keep handling him, offering treats, putting your hand in his cage, etc and he'll adore you in no time.
plus when you get the other rat, i'm sure that'll help a lot in the socialization process. =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, some good news. I held Remy yesterday for 20 minutes! He actually seemed to enjoy it. He went inside my hoodie and fell asleep in the crook of my arm. He also buried in my hair and gave me little rattie kisses. He's such a sweetie!
And to think...the poor little one could have been snake food! 8O

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah! Lucky Remy! My 2 girls were raised and handled, but one was still a little timid. She is still more intorverted then her sister, but the thing that really won her over was letter her lick yogurt off of my finger. She really likes to be held a lot more now that she knows what else comes from hands.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts