Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your experiences/thoughts on holistic vets for rats? It says they incorporate holistic techniques while also doing traditional medicine. Would you bring your rat to a holistic vet?

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with natural, holistic approaches, as long as it is combined with medicine. I know a lot of people give their rats Green Mush and probiotics. Additionally, chocolate and some herbs, along with steam help with respiratory issues. I always give my rats things with extra nutrition like eggs when they're sick. As long as they are willing to treat with medicine when necessary, there's nothing wrong with natural remedies :)

EDIT: I just found Finn's post mentioning holistic approaches when it comes to tumors and thought this would fit right in here!
"The most noteworthy ones are turkey tail mushroom (can be purchased on amazon), wheatgrass powder, and high quality flax oil (if it's cancer) mixed in high quality yogurt or cottage cheese. There are other supplements too, but I don't know all of them. Some people have GREAT results with these, and other people have no help from them at all. I think it really depends on the type of tumor it is and if it's cancerous or a fatty tumor. Definitely avoid sugar as much as possible, and anything that gets translated to sugar in the body as sugar feeds tumor growth."

So yes a vet working with these approaches wouldn't be a problem to me personally.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Attempting holistic remedies BEFORE treating with real medications seems very risky for rats since their illnesses are usually well developed before we even notice them. If a vet recommends holistic measures WITH antibiotics or other medications then that's fine. I would just not put off the real medications in order to try something holistic first because if that doesn't work it may be too late to treat with medications by the time you realize the holistic approach isn't working.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Attempting holistic remedies BEFORE treating with real medications seems very risky for rats since their illnesses are usually well developed before we even notice them. If a vet recommends holistic measures WITH antibiotics or other medications then that's fine. I would just not put off the real medications in order to try something holistic first because if that doesn't work it may be too late to treat with medications by the time you realize the holistic approach isn't working.
I complete second this because rats can go from being healthy to very sick overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts