Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My parents announced we are going to Tahoe for a week! And now I have an option. Leave the rats at home! They will be alone for 2 days, fed by a friend and water changed, in two days same thing for a week! But they will have NO playtime, and NO attention, and my babyies are used to an hour o playing daily at,east 5 times a week. If I take them with me they will be stressed by travel (the drive is 2h) but they will have HOURS of attention daily (I will have lots of time w them). I can take a cage big enough and food and toys and a playpen? So what should I do?

Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
BenefitsDownsides
Rats will be with their owner.Rats might hate the trip!
Rats will have free roam every day.Rats will be stressed out and possibly scared and skittish.
Rats might enjoy the trip.You will have to set up their cage after the car ride.

Unfortunately, this is all I鈥檝e got. It all comes down to your decision and if you want to do this!

Registered
I wouldn't take...... lies. I would totally take them. But it really is up to you. YOU know them best.

• Haha
Reactions: TwilxghtRat

Registered
I have taken my rats away a lot over the years.I have found they travel really well and seem to enjoy the experience.The only exception is old rats over 2 and a half,it can take it out of them.If you decide to do it put plenty of moist fresh food such as carrot,cucumber and grapes in their cage as you will have to take the water bottle off,it all drips out from the vibration of the car.Also cover the cage with an old sheet to keep the sun off them.The rats soon learnt that when I stopped at a service station,I would get some nice food so they all used to wake up and beg for a nibble of my sandwich!When at the destination the rats react differently,some are straight out and at it seeing what mischief they can get up to,some hang back at the threshold of the cage door and only decide to venture out 2 days before you go home.
Whether you decide depends on what YOU want out of your trip.A week is nt a long time,your rats will be fine and you will have a great reunion when you return.Or if you will miss them a lot,take them,but as I said they may be too nervous to come out and play anyway.The most important thing to a rat is food and as long as someone is topping up their food bowl daily they wont fret.

Registered
I love bringing my animals places when given the chance. When I took my bird on trips, I would make sure he used his travel cage daily, and even if he did get stressed on the trip he would be able to go into an area that is familiar and comfortable. I say do it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts