Rat Forum banner

Homemade Food Mix

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mopydream44 
#1 ·
I found it once but cannot find it again.

What is a good recipe for home made food for our little ratties?
We had a bag of premix from the petstore but read that its not the greatest. We have lab blocks made by kay-tee i think is the name.

And since we are looking to get two more little guys I am sure itl be easier to make food.

#4 ·
crackerkorean said:
And this mix is good to use as an everyday food?
The grain mix is to be fed as a side to either lab blocks or an appropriate dog food. It should be fed in set amounts and the rats should be watched. Some rats can gain weight on the mix.

But with a good staple (the blocks or food) it can be fed daily (don't feed Kay-tee, it's got chemicals in it known to cause cancer in humans.

#5 ·
I have some lab blocks but they are not the higher quality ones

What should I look for when I look at dog foods? I feed my dog bil-jac senior dog food. What kind of numbers should I look for.

I need to go food shopping and would like to get him food. So what should one do to feed this little guy.

I was wrong the lab blocks are 8 in 1 and the dry food mix in Kay-Tee

Basically what should I buy today to get him food.
Should I go ahead and get all the stuff for the dry food mix?

#6 ·
Here is the info on te biljac

Crude Protein, not less than
20.0%
Crude Fat, not less than
12.0%
Crude Fiber, not more than
4.0%
Moisture,
not more than
10.0%

And ingredients
Chicken, Chicken By-Products (Organs Only including chicken liver), Oatmeal, Corn, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Egg Product, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), BHA (a preservative), Vitamin B12 Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.

Would this be ok for our little guy also.

#7 ·
I agree with Forensic, some of my rats have gotten too fat by being too picky with the grain mix, they'd just eat the pasta and banana chips and dump all the grains and oats and stuff out and pee all over it. I actually stopped using the grain mix recently after I had an outbreak of illness with my fat rats and lost a few. Right now the rest of my fat rats are on diets! Everyday they have lab blocks and a bit of dog food, fresh fruit and veggies, and a yogi drop at night for a treat. They also have some toddler veggie crackers that they love, every other day I give them each a cracker.

#9 ·
A mixture of lab blocks, dog food, and grain mixture. As long as you moderate the grain mixture (unlike me) and make sure they aren't being too picky and only eating their favorites. My rats wouldn't touch the total flakes or puffed wheat/rice cererals, but they love the soy beans and pasta, and of course the sweet stuff.

That's how I feed anyway, changes have to be made once in a while depending on what is going on that day, but in general I feed a mix of those three things.

Also, supplement with fresh fruit and veggies.

#10 ·
How does the dog food that we feed our puppy look for rats?

I guess we will make a mix of the food and see how he eats it. Right now we fill a small ramiken (1/4 cup) of food a day, with 3-4 lab blocks on top. It doesnt seem hes too fond of the lab blocks.

So as long as he eats the gains also he would be doing good with the mix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.