Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really need to make a homemade rattie leash for scout so when she is running aroung and exploring out of her cage she can be safe and i can watch her. we are moving so there are alot of things to chew around the house, but all she wants is freedom :roll: . how can i make one, does anyone have any ideas? thanks a million.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just want to add -she is tired of the bathroom now. are bathroom has hardly no space for even humans to get around in and that's one reason why we are getting ready to move. (our bathroom in our new house is being remodeled at the moment.) i have a large room with lotsa space so i thought scout would be better off in here. i looked on google and couldn't find any staight answers or matches to what i was really looking for. i tried using a rubber band tied to a string that was tight, but not to tight enough to hurt scout. it slipped right off. i want to complement the members on ratforum for their very great ideas :) . its just that sometimes, they don't work out properly. i just need a list of materials on what to use to make a homemade rattie leash, that's what im looking for. thanks :D .

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you possibly make a little area and contain her in it, in your room? That way she wont get into anything she shouldnt, and than you dont have to worry about leaving her unattented with something tied onto her. Sometimes when the bathroom gets boring I make a makeshift play pen area in the dining room using big pieces of cardboard, and than I just use electircal tape and tape it all shut during playtime. (I also tape it down onto the floor as well.) Its def. not the prettiest looking play area, but its easy to put up, take down, and they get to play outside safely.
Edit-Not saying you would leave her unattended, just throwing another idea out :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I made leashes for my gerbils once, I think your best bet is to go with a harness rather then a collar. Collars are great for dogs, bit rats are streamline and slim, so it'd be easy for them to slip out of one.

I made mine with twine, a secure (but not tight!) loop around the neck, another, slightly looser around the chest and another bit of string along the back to tie them together. Then connect your 'leash' to the string along the back. When you need to take it off you can just untie it, slip it off or snip it was safety scissors (just be sure to leave enough room to do this comfortably).

D= Leashes on rodents are really annoying. They're so small that they tangle them easily while they run around, and they're so light that if you might accidentally drag or jerk them around without noticing. I've found that hallways and stairs are really easily rodent-proofed, assuming you won't get in the way of your family. They're spacious, if a little boring, but stairs can be fun and give them a nice workout n.n

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I make harnesses for my rats but they tend to chew through any type of material I have tried. From what you described it sounds like you are wanting your rat to roam around with little supervision. I wouldn't advise that at all.

Sorry to say, you will just have to use the tiny bathroom for the time being. Maybe you can get the rat interested in the small space again by taping some small boxes together & cutting holes through the sides so they can explore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've found that small animal harnesses just don't work. A rat's shape allows them to simply back out of them. What I use is an iguana leash. It's made in a figure 8 fashion and is not bulky like a harness. It's also much easier to get on and off.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
could you give us a picture of the lizard harness? i may want to try making one for a couple of more adventerous rats when they go shoulder riding outdoors.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the lizard harness might just work. this morning i thought id create my own little rattie leash invention. i tied some secure string to a small and fit, tight rubber band that would probably do well on a rat. i slipped it over scout's head and, waa-laa. it fits just perfectly. i will post pics if i can soon. thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
rattusnorvegicus said:
the lizard harness might just work. this morning i thought id create my own little rattie leash invention. i tied some secure string to a small and fit, tight rubber band that would probably do well on a rat. i slipped it over scout's head and, waa-laa. it fits just perfectly. i will post pics if i can soon. thanks for your help guys.
Just wondering, won't the rubber band pinch fur?

And how are you securing the harness? Around her neck?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts