Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again!
After reading the responses to my first post I did some research. Mom was released into the apartment parking lot because she was told she could not have the rat. A kind person trapped her and brought her to us. I'm guessing she had just enough time to meet Mr. Street rat and conceive.

I have 5 males and 9 females all of which have never bitten and allow me to hold them securely (after finding them under the blankets. While Mom hears me enter the room and jumps up to greet me babies all prefer to hide from me. Our Director is hesitant about adopting them out. Our Veterinarian and LVT's believe they will be fine. They also think it may be better to allow the adopters interested to take them home so they can work with bonding. I have two people who each would like two females, possibly more.

I've offered different foods and Mom is always up for trying them. I just noticed one of the babies chewing on a peanut butter dog snack so I am guessing I can start working with foods.

If anyone can offer tips or hints that would be great. Allowing them to roam on my bed is not an option (they will be gone in a flash) their is also no other 'rat proof' room in my house. My idea was to either put them in a carry pouch I purchased or a rubbermaid container for smaller group interactions.

All of you are the experts. While I work at a shelter we do not receive rats that often.
Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
As far as other places to work with them-how about your tub? Lay a blanket over your legs, they will probably hide in it and they can get used to your scent. Carry pouch is a great idea as well, though mine would just crawl out and down my shirt, which is their favorite place-but I'm not sure how comfy you are with that. You can also just build a little temporary cardboard fence which would work under your supervision.

If you have someone interested that is rat experienced, and they are willing to take at least a pair I would try to get them into the home as soon as possible after 4 weeks of age so they can work with them while they are young. I would be hesitant to adopt them to anyone inexperienced to rats because of their wild side. Normally I would say after 5 weeks for a totally domestic rat, but with the wild guys I think it would good to bond with the new owners at a younger age.

I would try to introduce them to at least harlan teklad and Oxbow rat foods since those are probably the most popular. For treats-lots of green leafy veggies, and other veggies. The youngsters need a little higher protein while still growing-both those brands have foods specifically for young rats needs. You can also give a little high protein snacks-such as eggs, or a little cooked meat or fish.

Glad you tracked down Mama rats past so you know how to handle the babies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could maybe try the bathtub. I just worry because I have 4 cats and 3 dogs and if one got out it could easily go under doors and be in a whole world of hurt so to speak. Thanks for the advice. The pouch has a zipper so no escaping there - maybe. I would't care if they weren't so nervous. Although I haven't tried under my shirt to see if being covered made them more comfortable. I may try that. Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
If your bathroom isn't super proofed, stuff a towel under the doorway just in case someone gets out of the tub. They are not going to chew through a towel faster than you can pick them up. :) Dont' try doing all of them at once either, that could be pretty chaotic and overwhelming. Maybe like 3, something easy to handle. Look around the rest of the bathroom, and for the short term you can do a lot with some ducktape and cardboard for proofing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.