Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im confused with April, my one female rat, shes 11 months. The cage next to theirs houses 2 older females, which she hates. Now everytime in free range she doesnt leave them alone in the cage.

And now she is getting aggro inside her cage. She rips up the fleece blanket, "punches" it and just destroy everything in the cage except her cage mates. Well today when I stuck my hand inside to pet her she assumed the fight stance, pinned ears and puffed up coat. She didnt attack , but she did freak me out.

Is all this caused by the 2 in the next cage? Or is she just hormonal or what is happening? She is the boss in the cage and has been bossing and pinning the other 3 daily. So can it be that? They get around 2 hours of free range time and boxes and toys and "puzzles" when they are awake.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
I dont know. I dont want it to progress and get out of hand so rather safe than sorry.

·
Registered
955 Posts
How long have you had the rats in the other cage? She might be frustrated because she can see and smell these 'intruder' rats, but can't get close enough to them to let them know this is her territory and she in 'the boss.'

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had them for 2 weeks so far. It makes sense, she puts the frustration into bullying the other girls and destroying the cage. What can I do about it i anything?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ah yes, then I'd say that is definitely whats happening. If you can't move them to a different room then moving the cages so that they are not right next to each other, or perhaps putting up a screen of cardboard or similar between the cages might help - although she'd still be able to smell them. Are you planning on doing intros with these new girls?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do that. Thanks! And I was planning intros but with their agressive behaviour towards each other made me doubt that I'll be able to do that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd say intros are still worth a try - they may take time though. April could well calm down once she's had her chance to pin down the newbies and show them who's boss.

Have a good read through this:

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?193945-Introducing-Rats-using-the-Carrier-Method

If you are worried about injuries then this is a good method to try, and it all explained step by step. You can use a cat carrier, or a small hamster cage/converted storage tub. Most injuries occur when the rat that is being pinned or grabbed tries to run away. Placing the rats in a small space gives them less room to fight and less space to defend.

If you're feeling April is wound up into a bit of frenzy, then try moving the new rats into a different room for a couple days before you try intros. This will allow her to calm down a bit so that she goes into the intro process in a more neutral mood.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm defnitly going to try that. Thanks! She seemed to calm down when free ranging, didnt spend the whole time trying to get to her. The intro's wil be to make free-ranging easier. Thanks so much! I'm going to take things slow because this will be my first intros with older rats.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Max and Cloud are best friends. When Cloud was injured she ran straight to Max and Max licked her blood and snuggled with her and comforted her and even crawled under her head to support her head... Flash back to when we introduced Cloud... Max clung to the cage trying to get in and attack Cloud with murder in her eyes, the longer I kept them apart the more insane and outraged Max became and after that Max chased Cloud around the house for 3 weeks in fits of rage... Cloud still has a split ear from where Max took a chunk out of it. Max was too small to do intros when we got her, so we had to wait, but the longer we waited the more stark raving mad Max went. And after several weeks of trying to break into the cage and kill Cloud, it took weeks of rat combat all over the house to settle matters...

Now they are best friends, no two rats have ever been closer. There was a time I had my doubts, but if you think about it, in the wild rats don't stalk each other for weeks separated by bars. They meet and fight and get it over with.

Best luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rat daddy that sounds stressful! At least they are buds now.

So Im currently doing intros with the 2 friendliest of both groups. Tawny is trying to befriend her or to get to know her by sniffing and licking at her vagina, and Nina is completely ignoring her. She doesnt even aknowledge Tawny, I dont know if I should call this success or what? Their in the carrier atm and Nina is chewing the sides and Tawny is grooming herself.

Im going to do the intro with tawny and Jenny (one of the mean ones) so will see how it goes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts