Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't been on in so long the rescue and some other animals have been taking up a lot of my time :(. However this is not why i'm here... I went to the Docotor because I have been having a hard time breathing. When I came there I told him I had 10+ rats and it turns out I'm allergic to them!! *crys* He gave me one of those shot tests and I got my usual white bubble, blister looking thing... I always thought they were normal? He said he can give me a pill but I should really try to have only one rat. I told him they are happier in twos so he said two in my max!!! :O :O I thought I can just wear golves? so I wont have to stop the rescue but no. Their furr has been scaring my lungs as well!!!! 8O :cry: I can't believe this is happening......:(.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
wow that reallt must suck.... i wouldnt care what any doctor says i would always have rats even if they cause my death :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
995 Posts
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O *stares wide eyed with jaw droped* 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

This is horrible news!!!!! Are you going to get the pills?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
If their FUR causes lung reactions, then gloves will not help.

You'll either have to get allergy shots (every two weeks) or do as suggested and then keep it exceedingly clean.

I'm so sorry. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Wow, thats a surprise. Sorry to hear that, but in the very least, you're still allowed to have two, so looking on the bright side of things, its not a total loss right? With the pills are your lungs going to get better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
I'm a bit confused... If you're allergic, 2 will be pretty bad, too? I guess I'm thinking, if you're allergic with 10+, less won't make you less allergic. :p I understand the theory, though, but having severe lung damage myself (asthma and COPD, plus allergies), lung scaring is lung scaring, allergies are allergies... Any exposure to the allergen (without pills, shots, protection) is too much.

Either way, if it's lungs, gloves won't help, though a mask might. I would get the shots/take pills if I were you. Lots of cat people are very allergic, but with the shots, they are fine having cats. I would think that shots/pills should mean you won't have to downsize any, as long as they work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I am allergic to my rats, but I just take Allegra (fexofenadine) everyday. It works perfectly, no sneezing, no blister things. And it's really cheap too. I have been taking allergy meds my whole life for other things and Allegra has been the best.

Highly recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
I use to have parakeets and learned their dropping can cause health problems too. Since they were in my room, I was exposed to it no matter how often I cleaned their cage. I was freaking out like you are, but don't worry. In a few months you'll be looking back at this and thinking you got all worked up for nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
silverynitrate said:
I am allergic to my rats, but I just take Allegra (fexofenadine) everyday. It works perfectly, no sneezing, no blister things. And it's really cheap too. I have been taking allergy meds my whole life for other things and Allegra has been the best.

Highly recommend.

naz get that !!! or buy a spaceman suit so ur like totatly in a diff airspace (u will need an oxygentank) but i think the 1st idea is better a space man suit might b pricy lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forensic said:
If their FUR causes lung reactions, then gloves will not help.

You'll either have to get allergy shots (every two weeks) or do as suggested and then keep it exceedingly clean.

I'm so sorry. :(
I've taken an allergy shot and it heals up my "blisters" quicker than soap and water. I'm taking... I think it IS aller. and those also help a little but yes I have to re-home the hunnies :(. We're going to try two... I'm thinking of getting my male rex cliped and keeping him and my female rex together since their fur wont float off as much as standards. I'm thinking I might not even be able to keep them :'(. I also did something a little stupid lol, I had my gloved on and was holding my rexy boy, I had just eaten an apple and let him "dig" in my mouth for the apple and I got 4 bumps in my mouth that got SSSOOO itchy. I'm so stupid sometimes >.<, I'll have to post a picture of what I look like when I'm done holding them. One scratch and not even 45 seconds later I have bubbles :|.
Thnax so muhc everyone, sorry this took so long. I've just been so busy trying everything I can.... *sigh*
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top