Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have others experienced this? If I'm wearing a Band-Aid, my ratties bite it. There is no hesitation, no exploratory sniffing, just an immediate chomp into the Band-Aid. Both of them do this. Do they think it's food, or an enemy? It's very funny, but it caught me off guard at first!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very good possibility they think its a treat or piece of food. If they are fed treats from your fingers, they may distinguish the difference between your scent, and whats not your scent. So to them, whatever isn't your scent, must be food! Just a thought..

·
Registered
54 Posts
My rats both where confused when I painted my nails black once, Atlas was trying to eat them and Jinx was frantically trying to clean them.
Maybe they do think its food, maybe they think they're helping you out by attacking it
You never know :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
I assumed they thought it was something stuck on me, and they're trying to help me out by grooming it off, same as they would groom off something stuck to them.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Rats pretty much know that the bandage doesn't belong on you and they may even smell blood underneath so they are helping you get rid of the bad thing that they assume is hurting you. It's just what rats do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have a bad habit of pulling at my nails or skin around it when stressed, and my girl watson will groom my fingers and gently cut off the bad skin with her teeth, so maybe your rats think the bandage is an injury and are trying to cut it away. Th first time watson did that to my finger i freaked out, but she kept doing it after i pulled her off, eventually learned what was going on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My gents have preconcieved notions of what I should wear. Grey cardigan, cuddle the heck out of that. Teal cardigan, destroy. The One Ring necklace, evil. Shinji is dedicated to helping me lose it. My inherited ring, nope - got to go. New plugs, human, really? We'll handle your 'style' and speaking of that...wow, your hair.

This includes band aids. I'm not sure if it is as another said and they know it's not a part of me but we can all see they definitely see they have their own tastes and likes so I personally think they see it as their duty to help out their freakishly large (and clueless) friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts