Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what sorts of glue is safe to use in a rat cage? I've heard people are using hot glue guns does any glue work or should i look for specific glue sticks?? and how much should i use generally. thanks.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
you can get the silicone sealant for fishtanks at home supply stores like home depot as well, in the kitchen and bath aisle - waterproof silicone sealant.

it's not really glue at all though, and i'm sure hot glue would be just fine with them, but it may appear tantalizing. i've had hamsters eat silicone sealant too though. what are you gluing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to glue down little caps, i had to counter sink the levels in the cage so i could hold them up and it left bare wood i am afraid will swell and stink after being peed on and washed so i got little plastic cap things to cover the wood and nails, i was going to hot glue them down to the boards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My boyfriend and I recently used the sealer for fishtanks, it's a terrible mess if you don't read the directions but I'm sure that it would be safe for rats.
I would read the back of the package.

Oh, and we bought it at walmart. :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'm sure your rats would love to chew those nice new plastic caps to death too, by the way.

maybe you can fill the holes with wood filler, and then lacquer the whole cage with a strong waterproof layer of rat-safe paint? might be easier to clean in the long run, less maintenance, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts