Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be good demensions for a rat cage for 2 and about how much would that be. First time in the rat department--can ya tell?

·
Registered
58 Posts
VayeraGirl93 said:
what would be good demensions for a rat cage for 2 and about how much would that be. First time in the rat department--can ya tell?
What I did was get a 10 gallon tank and added a topper to it. It's kind of nice because you can add as many stories to it as you want. My only regret is not going for the 20 gallon instead.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
10 gal are pretty small even w/ a cage topper for adult rats. Tanks arn't the best thing to have (poor air circulation, ammonia build up...stuff like that) however, if you are willing to keep the tank clean daily it should be alright. I used to have a 50 gal with a 3 story topper, my bf took the tank for his Bearded Dragon and he bought me a normal cage about the same size as the 50 gal. I made a topper for this new cage and it stands over 3 feet tall and can fit up to 9 rats. Its VERY cheap just to make you own cage. I made mine for about $30, when at a store I would have to pay close to $200 for it!

Heres a rat calculator for ya...I hope it helps :D

http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
each rat needs 2 cubic feet of space so using that cage calculator the smallest would be 24"H x22" Wx14"D
Rats love height and levels but if you got a large guineapig cage and put in your own shelves, etc that would work but put the dimensions thru the cage calculator before buying a cage or better yet, post which cage you are looking at and we can tell you if its any good or maybe even previous owners can tell you pros and cons of the cage. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts