Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago you couldn't see the tumor without drawing back the fur. Now, http://imgur.com/6RlKOdU. It's doubled in size at the least. It's on her back leg and getting cumbersome. She also has arthritis, has some bad days with moving, and lung scarring that comes apparent when she becomes scared like when medicating her.

I don't want to think it but I worry it's becoming close to time. I think I'm gonna take her back to the vet to get an opinion on the growth of her tumor and when to euthanize.

I don't want to do it too late but I also don't want to do it too early especially if she can overcome the cumbersome growth.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Ive had a girl that I couldn't fairly operats on before, she had several mammary lumps and one especially large. She remained mobile despite the lump being larger than a golf ball (ended up around 1.5 to 2 inches diameter). My aim was to put her to sleep when it bothered her, in the end I choose to put her to sleep when it ulcerated, this did not appear to cause her any pain, I could prod and poke it without her noticing (admittedly she wasn't the brightest rat I've had lol), I spent a few days seeing if I could get it to close but she wouldn't leave it and was unhappy with the body shock which stopped her scratching it (it mainly seemed to itch). I put to sleep then and never felt it was too late, she was so very cheerful right up to tne vets. I chose the as I knew the open wound would get infected or worse, so better a bit early than too late.

I know it's not an answer as such but if you follow your gut and what your girl tells you you should do fine

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks isamu, I've not experienced tumors before so I didn't know if those people who let it become more tumor than rat were causing pain. Iris is particularly vocal, lazy, and not one for cuddles so not the easiest rat to tell.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Years ago I had an old female rat with a large non cancerous tumour on her hindquarters. My vet said it wasn't causing her any pain, and that since she was eating well and still mobile that she could continue to enjoy life despite the growing lump. I kept an eye in it, and would regularly check to see if it had become painful but it never seemed to bother her, and it certainly didn't interfere with her number one priority in life - eating! It grew to be slightly smaller than a golfball, but luckily it never ulcerated. She passed peacefully in her sleep in the end.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to tell if the lump itself hurts. I can touch both of them but she squeaks at the smaller black one. The white one isn't so bad but feels more attached.

·
Registered
863 Posts
This is a great topic. I've had 4 rats with tumors. Each time I was amazed at how well they got around and went about their lives with the tumors. My rule of thumb is that when the tumor gets large enough so that it interferes with their mobility, or if it appears to cause them discomfort, or if they look like they're finished with the good part of their life, then at that point I will consider euthanasia.

Currently I have one rat with a tumor the size of a marshmallow, and she's still able to do everything she has always done. FYI -- I would advise against allowing them any treats that contain sugar, as sugar is known to contribute to tumor growth.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've found rear end tumours (around there bits) to be much more of an issue than large armpit ones. At some point the groin ones can start to push stuff around and cause toiletting to be difficult. If that one gets big enough that it seems to be causing problems i would go sooner rather than later. But most armpit ones dont seem to bother them at all. They may need feeding more if the tumours got to the point where its draining the rat dry, but that will also speed up the tumours rate of growth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts