Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DIY cage made of wood. It has three levels and wire on the front and i'm concidering stapling wire to the walls as well. What i'm worried about however is how i'm going to attach things like those rope toys and ledges made for birds as they have pretty large ends that i'm worried about fitting in the inside wire. Im nervous about using nails or screws because I dont want to risk them getting hurt. I was concidering those little stick on hooks used for paintings and stuff lke that but idk how durable they would be and I don't want the rats to pull it down and chew on the adhesive.

·
Registered
Boba, Theo and Diego
93 Posts
If you use wire and want to attach toys you can always use pipe cleaners or those colorful hooks on amazon that are really cheap and worth it. Overall though, is only the front part of the cage wire? If so you definitely should make the sides and top wire too, that will help with ventilation that the rats need in order to not get ill from the ammonia. Also a wooden cage really isnt the best idea since it will get soaked with urine and in about at most, one years time, the entire cage will stink no matter what you do. I would like to see some pics of your cage though if you'd be down to post them, DIY cages are always really cool to look at :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would cut large "windows" in the sides and cover them with wire mesh and/or make the complete back of the cage wire mesh as well. Just having mesh on the front doesn't provide as much air circulation. Making more parts of the cage wire mesh would not only provide more ventilation, it would also solve your issue with attaching items.

As @Tokyo_Nezumi mentioned, strategically placed screw eyes would work. You could use s-hooks, pipe cleaners, orp pear-shaped shower curtain rings to connect the hammocks to the screw eyes. Don't use those sticky command strips. They're garbage and your rats would chew the sticky padding tabs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts