Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got 2 female rats who are estimated to be around 8-9 weeks old from my local pet store (petsathome) I know that I shouldn't get them from there but the nearest breeder is 20 miles away and I do not have a car.

I was wondering what is the best way to get them to trust me? They are in my office room and I am in their most of the day sitting quitely at my computer doing work. I got them on the 29th and over the past few days they have been coming out of their home and exploring the cage and eating and drinking so all is well.

I don't want to scare them or rush into things with them so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Talk to them, just have your hand in the cage, wet treats so they can't run away to eat.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Make a routine, do it several times a day. Create a 'rat call', something you say to them when you are bringing a special treat. Open the cage door and hold a metal spoonful of wet food (I use cream of wheat) and soon they will come to the open door on their own. When they get the hang of that, you can try putting the food on your fingers and letting them lick it off. No need to try to reach in and pet them, or try to pick them up. In a week they should be well trained to this routine and eagerly wait for you at the right time, or come crawling from their hammock when you call, sleepy and slow, and smelling the treat waiting for them. You'll start to notice them clamoring for the treat, pushing each other and jockeying for position to get their share. That's when you can start picking them up, while they are busy nom nomming on a treat.

Reactions: Rats4All
1 - 3 of 3 Posts