Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now its about 50-50 in the litter box and on the fleece on the bottom floor. They rarely pee or poop on the fleece on the second floor. It smells bad and I don't want to have to clean the fleece as much since its easier to clean the litter pan. I already have a stone in there cause they like peeing on rocks ? Is there anything else I can do to make them pee and poop in the litter box more?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just patience. You need to clean up often as possible to keep their scent off the fleece/bedding. Keep picking up their poops and put them in the litter pan. The idea is too keep their scent in the litter pan and not bedding. Also, you need to have a different bedding/litter in the pan, to what you use in the cage. I've been at it for 3 months. My boys only poo in the litter pan, but still scent mark their cage with wee.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can only tell you what worked for me--it was quick, and relatively painless, too.

Cleaned their litter pans and the pee rocks I keep in there every single day, sometimes twice a day, leaving only one or two poos in it, deliberately, to kinda give 'em the idea.

Any stray poos found on fleece were immediately picked up and placed in the litter pan.

I put a cheap plastic placemat under the litter pan, so that near to the pan was NOT soft comfy, absorbent fleece, just begging to be used as an alternative restroom.

When I saw the girls weren't actually always willing to go all the way downstairs to go, I put a second pan on the top shelf-and voila'! issue solved.

I have 99% compliance with the litter pan now, a few weeks in (knocks wood furiously).

I understand girls are supposed to be easier to train to this than boys, but still, you should have good success with it--and it's good you're using a pee rock, that helped me a whole lot. You might try changing pee rocks around, too--mine seem to prefer certain types and shapes more than others.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just patience. You need to clean up often as possible to keep their scent off the fleece/bedding. Keep picking up their poops and put them in the litter pan. The idea is too keep their scent in the litter pan and not bedding. Also, you need to have a different bedding/litter in the pan, to what you use in the cage. I've been at it for 3 months. My boys only poo in the litter pan, but still scent mark their cage with wee.
I do have different bedding than what's in the litter pan. Fleece for the cage and aspen for the litter box

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can only tell you what worked for me--it was quick, and relatively painless, too.

Cleaned their litter pans and the pee rocks I keep in there every single day, sometimes twice a day, leaving only one or two poos in it, deliberately, to kinda give 'em the idea.

Any stray poos found on fleece were immediately picked up and placed in the litter pan.

I put a cheap plastic placemat under the litter pan, so that near to the pan was NOT soft comfy, absorbent fleece, just begging to be used as an alternative restroom.

When I saw the girls weren't actually always willing to go all the way downstairs to go, I put a second pan on the top shelf-and voila'! issue solved.

I have 99% compliance with the litter pan now, a few weeks in (knocks wood furiously).

I understand girls are supposed to be easier to train to this than boys, but still, you should have good success with it--and it's good you're using a pee rock, that helped me a whole lot. You might try changing pee rocks around, too--mine seem to prefer certain types and shapes more than others.
So cleaning it more often will make them use it more often?

·
Registered
320 Posts
So cleaning it more often will make them use it more often?
Well, don't the little buggers always seem to hop right in and christen the brand new clean box, just as you've finished it? ;D

I always gently tell them "Good" when they do this--they have learned what verbal praise is, and I think it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts