Rat Forum banner

How can I keep cage clean?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CorbinDallasMyMan 
#1 ·
Hello all! My name is Amber and I own two beautiful babies: Piper and Bernadette. I currently have a two story cage, Prevue Hendryx Black Fiesty, but it gets so messy. I bought some foam board and cut that to size for the platforms, then attempted to use fleece blankets. Those just end up in a ball in the bottom of the cage! Would thicker, heavier fleece work?
Any tips would be so appreciated — thank you!

#3 ·
Oh my, I didn’t know that. I read somewhere that foam board would work. I should have researched it better. If I use thick fleece, it would probably be thick enough to keep it comfortable from the spacing in the bars. At least I would think so. I’ll definitely try making sleeves for the platforms. Thank you!

#5 ·
cardboard also works to cover floors and platforms. Any type of fleece always gets destroyed and thrown around the cage. That makes them sooooo happy! I call it the "garbage dump" when they get it to that messy state lol.

#8 ·
I've had custom floor liners made from fleece, with furniture moving pad material sewn between the fleece layers, that have eyelets in them. And I use small carabiners to clip them to the floor/balconies of my cage. That way the rats can't move them. And they don't really chew on them anymore, probably got bored or it was too thick lol. I change the fleece liners out every 3 days or so and wash them. I have multiple sets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.