Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 8 week old female dumbos do like ot come out and run around, i have managed to stop them going on the sofa as it's new and sued. However when they are out they dribble wee, its hardly anything so until they get it on you rather than your clothes it's hard to know when they have done it to put them back in the cage. They do go back in regulary so they can have a proper wee. Anyone got any suggestions??

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats dribble on you to mark you with their scent.

It means they're claiming you as theirs.

You can't stop them from doing it, but they tend to do it less over time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Try and think of it as a compliment...

:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
yup they love you so much they want to make sure you are theirs :):)... i just wear old clothes when playing with mine :):)

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I have my girls on the couch, I put their litter pan in the corner (we have a pretty big couch). They usually run over there to pee/poo and I have yet to be peed on- which I'm not taking as an insult... they certainly soak me enough with kisses. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just wait... I'm sure at least one will develop a proclivity for cleaning out your ears, nose, and in between your teeth. ;)

My roommate lets one of her girls free-range, and she often wakes up with her rat sitting on her chin, lapping up the plaque in her mouth. lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If my rats are waking up I give them a few minutes to take care of business before I take them out. Give them a break every 15-20 minutes of being out as well. They are much better now, they do 'scent' every so often, and they will unload every once in awhile... but I usually 'punish' them by putting them back in there cage for a little bit, Lucy gets the idea that she will go in if she soaks me... I can tell when she has to pee because she gets skitish and tries to get off me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It does get better with age...my two older girls rarely go outside their cage, but my youngest still has occasional 'accidents.' When I sit with her on the couch I just put down an old towel to make any clean up easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My boys are the same, its not much though, not enough for me to punish them. Like everyone else says, there just claiming you as theres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts