Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my little Artemis yesterday, and I'm worried because he keeps making this wierd noise. It sounds kind of like rubbing/wheezing/sniffing with a stuffy nose. Is it bruxing? What does bruxing sound like? (Sorry, I'm new :) ) Also, he sneezes occasionally. Could it be a URI?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a vet visit. That sounds like wheezing not bruxing. Bruxing is when they grind their teeth. Also, is Artemis a lone rat?

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's hard to describe what bruxing sounds like, but when you hear it you'll know what it is. :)
It's an unmistakable sound. I'm new to rats too, but I can always tell when Dust is bruxing, compaired to when she's stuffed up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
my female rats have gotten upper respiratory infectons before.
it sounds like something is wrong and like Darksong17 said..it's time for a vet visit! lol I'm sure it's nothing serious...but it does need to be treated.

How much does he sneez? My girls sneezed all the time when they were sick.

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
393 Posts
GracieBaby said:
if it is a minor respratory infection i remember reading that chocolate can help.
This isn't entirely correct. The theobromine in the chocolate (particularly dark chocolate) will help open the airways in the case of respiratory distress but it will not solve the problem and it will not eliminate what's causing the respiratory distress in the first place.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's stopped sneezing and now I'm sure it's bruxing. Yay!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts