Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've only been there once before because I needed help, but now I need help again. I'm an amateur rat-rescuer. Nothing official, just a rat lover who takes unwanted and discarted rats whenever she can. But I now have a problem. Some time ago I adopted two breeders from a petshop that was closing. We named them Ota and Kou. They were absolutely untamed, nobody wanted them; they were also old and filled with parasites. But we figured we'd be able to give them a fine retirement. We were slowly taming them, they were doing great; eating well, very energetic, and they were practically done being treated for parasites... but today, completely unexpectedly, we found Ota dead in their nest box. So now I only have a single male remaining.

I cannot find him a new partner. I ONLY do rescue. There are no reputable breeders over where I live, and I refuse to buy from pet stores, unless they are closing down, like it happened for them. I cannot place him with my girls; being a former breeder, he is NOT neutered, and right now I can't afford to have him neutered since I just had to get ALL of my rats treated for parasites, since they managed to find my girls as well. The only solution I can see, so he doesn't get too lonely, would be to place his cage next to my girls' cage. But how close can I put them, to prevent injuries and/or accidental breeding? Both my girls and my remaining boy are in guinea pig cages, simillar to this one: http://www.bitsforpets.com/images/savic-nero2-guinea-pig-cage.jpg (with custom-made, additionnal levels). Anyone here have experience with such situations? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Unless someone can squeeze their entire body through both cages, there won't be any accidental breeding. But I still wouldn't recommend putting an intact male's cage next to intact females. Intact boys can be quite obnoxious when girls are near and girls tend to get a little nippy if they run out of patience. Just my limited experience.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have boys and girls and I put their cages about a foot apart for fear of them doing the deed through the bars. However, I just now did some googling and some sources are suggesting that the mechanics of through-the-bars mating are not possible. Either way, they can't get pregnant from six inches away. As for behavior, I would see the boys lined up watching the girls sometimes with an intoxicated look... Maybe when someone was in heat! Then they eventually started ignoring each other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts