Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to buy rat litter the other day I bought another rat. Not that I wanted one, certainly not that I needed one. As I passed the cage of depressed feeders one black and white female leapt at the glass. Her eyes radiated her fear and desperation, something the others had accepted long ago. Knowing this store, and their lack of respect or care, I kept going. When I came back and she saw me her efforts doubled, along with an insane amount if glass licking when I crouched down. Her bright eyes begged me not to go and as I stood up and watched her slump into the shavings my heart broke.

The employee was too afraid to touch her so as I got her out, which amounted to me putting my hand close enough for her to race up my arm, she told me that this had had been a pet that someone dropped off in a carrier outside their door before the store opened. This sweet rat, who was shaking as she hid in my hair and licked me in thanks had been left for dead. This store doesn't even sell rats as pets, purely as food. Who could do this?!

To anyone who views an animal as a disposable item, you should be ashamed. I wish tortures beyond speech upon you. The love you so easily discarded, in a tiny carrier in the cold, was the greatest thing you could ever have known. For your record her name is Faith because even when you gave up on her she didn't give up. Try finding that anywhere else.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh my goodness this is the saddest thing I've read all day but I'm so glad you decided to give her a second chance please take care of her

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is amazingly sweet. Faith gives lots of kisses while riding on my shoulder or in the rat bonding scarf. She's been on car rides and always behaves, no 'I'm going there and you won't stop me human!' moments - which is what defines my other females. I just cannot fathom why someone gave her up, let alone to a place where she had no future.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's pretty much how I ended up with Anga.

She was bouncing around in a feeder bin, desperate to get out. She locked eyes with me like she was begging me to get her out of there. I'm not one to make impulse decisions, especially when it comes to getting more pets, but the longer I stood there thinking that I've never had a rat, I don't know what it's like to have one, the tighter her hold on me became.

Upon getting her out of the cage, she immediately ran to my shoulder and gave me kisses. A lady walked up just then and told me that rats make great pets. So I took her home with plans to find a good home for her, but I found I couldn't let her go! That lead to 4 more rats and a Double Critter Nation.

That was 3 months ago and now I can't imagine life with out them!

I'm so glad you took her away from that horrible situation. Who ever left her there has some serious karmic debt coming their way!

·
Registered
672 Posts
She is amazingly sweet. Faith gives lots of kisses while riding on my shoulder or in the rat bonding scarf. She's been on car rides and always behaves, no 'I'm going there and you won't stop me human!' moments - which is what defines my other females. I just cannot fathom why someone gave her up, let alone to a place where she had no future.
I cannot not imagine why people do many things, but maybe it was just fate that brought you two together.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The employee was too afraid to touch her so as I got her out, which amounted to me putting my hand close enough for her to race up my arm, she told me that this had had been a pet that someone dropped off in a carrier outside their door before the store opened..
Yep, this is how I got my current girls. The owners dropped Ross off because she wasn't cuddly enough for them, and they dropped Maisy off because they got her to be a companion for a male rat, then she got pregnant, then she had 14 babies. People can be so irresponsible.:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts