Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, when Gus, Boo, and I went into the playroom (their bathroom,) I brought a little special "sweetie" for them - a piece of chicken, that I planned to break up into little bits, for the two of them.

First, let me say that Gus is such a GOOD boy! He really is. He is sweet to me, and rides on my shoulder. He's a good "big brother" to Boo, and often lets Boo "win" when they wrestle. He has got such an even temper, and is just an incredible rat.

Boo, being younger, is a little more trouble. He wants to wake Gus up and play. He wants to find out what Gus has, and try to take it away. He wants to follow Gus around when Gus wants to be alone. (He's darling, of course, but I can see how Gus has to be a very patient rat. ;) )

And they both talk to each other, a lot. I have to pay attention to figure out who is "talking," when I hear little squeaks and chirps from their home.

So, anyway, we're out to play tonight, with chicken, and Gus decides that he wants to go into his (famous) drawer for awhile. I told him a few times that I had a sweetie, but that I wasn't going to give it to him if he was in the drawer, which he DID understand. (If I give it to him in the drawer, he'll store it in there, and ants will come and find it.)

Meanwhile, Boo smelled it, and wanted some, so I gave him a little piece. And another little piece. And some more little pieces. Gus still wants to stay in his drawer. I actually went to get another small piece of chicken, since Boo ate up all of the first piece. (These aren't WHOLE pieces of chicken, BTW. Just little leftover bits.)

Boo was in LOVE with the chicken. When he'd finished a morsel, he'd start "singing." A noise I hadn't heard from him before, just expressing joy at the wonderful taste. So he wound up getting a lot of it. I made sure to save a bite for Gus, for when he came out.

Of course, when he came out, Gus wanted the sweetie that I had promised him, and I gave him the last little piece I had there.

This is when I realized that Boo is REALLY spoiled!

Would you believe that Boo squeaked at Gus, because Gus had chicken and Boo didn't? Boo, Gus, and I all knew that he had eaten most of the chicken, but he was still going to try to get that last bit away from his brother!

I thought, I raised both boys the same. Why is one so giving, and one so spoiled? I can't believe that ~almost~ the whole thing isn't enough for Boo, and he's going to try to get Gus'!

Of course, I thought it was funny, so that's why I'm sharing it.

But I made sure that Gus got his in the end. I gave him a nice, big morsel of chicken when I put them to bed, before Boo was in the house. Good boys get to have their sweeties, too, no matter what the little brother says! :lol:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not as though I wouldn't have done the same for Gus, if he had wanted it...he was just more interested in redecorating his drawer.

Yeah, I am a big enabler, though. Who do you think gave Gus his drawer, and the rats a whole room to "decorate" as they see fit? ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think both of them are spoiled (lucky ratties!) one just takes more advantage of it!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I love them so much, so I want to spoil them - I know that their lives are short, so I want each day to be wonderful for them.

But squeaking for the last piece of chicken is outrageous, and Boo knows it! :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It doesn't matter how much Boo had already had. What matters is that Gus got something while he didn't have any, so it wasn't fair! ;) They're like kids, only oodles cuter :D

I love reading about your rats, Holly, they have such big personalities! ^_^

·
Registered
192 Posts
I want to spoil Tiny sometimes (and it is sad that they live such a short time), and I get reminded by the wife to make sure to give them all a treat if I am going to give one to him. Good advice. It IS, only fair, afterall ;)

One of ours will steal the treats right out of the other's mouth if you are not careful. We feed her first, obviously. Spoil too much and they come to expect it as default.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, their personalities keep me, at least, endlessly entertained!

I think it's great to spoil everyone equally. They are terrific, and they deserve to be spoiled. But when it gets to the point of stealing a treat out of someone else's mouth, or eating ALL of the chicken except for one piece and then complaining about it, I think it falls into the category of, "spoiled enough to tell a story about it." :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.