Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was trying to find info on the net about how hairless rats lost their hair? breed it out of them like how they breed features into dogs?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Most likely they had a recessive trait come up in their inbreeding (hairlessness), and then they bred to reproduce it. I'm sure it's possible to come up in wild populations, however, I doubt hairless rats survive very well outside...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forensic said:
Most likely they had a recessive trait come up in their inbreeding (hairlessness), and then they bred to reproduce it. I'm sure it's possible to come up in wild populations, however, I doubt hairless rats survive very well outside...
thats what i figured too. cant find any info on it tho.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
you can't breed hairless moms. well, technically you can but its not recommended. often hairless moms aren't good mothers and can't lactate. so you need to breed either a hairless male to a haired female or two carriers. not all of the rittens are likely to come out hairless and in fact you can end up with an entire litter with fur but are hairless carriers. i heard that to get the most hairless you should breed a hairless male to a hairless carrier furred female.

i'm not sure about the rexes and double rexes but i assume its the same thing. they are both recessive genes i believe. except you should be able to breed shown rexes to each other, not sure how well a double rex mother is, might be the same as a hairless mom but again, not sure.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
think poodle for rats. their hair is wavy to tight curls. a double rex has curls so tight that the hair will fall out leaving patches of bald spots so the double rexes are also sometimes refered to as patchwork rats as well. a hairless will be born without hair or just a fine dusting of hair and will never grow anymore hair.

to really confuse you a Harley rat is another variation of rex. they have long crazy-everywhere hair. looks like they just woke up or just had their hair towel dried. while you can now find rexes and double rexes and hairless in pet stores i believe harleys are still a breeder only. you can get a look of them here: http://www.skyclyde.com/Rats.html not sure how current the site is but you may still be able to get rats from them, not sure. *shrugs* in any case you'll be able to see what i mean when i say harley

i've seen a couple people here that have rexes. very cute little guys. my bribery was supposed to be a rex but after moltng lost his curl, though his whiskers are still crazy-everywhere.

·
Registered
655 Posts
hmm, im not sure about freaky rats. The hairless ones look like a an accident-they must have less protection from scraches and stuff, the fluffy ones look like when they get wet they take ages to dry instead of shaking the water off they're shiney coats and the tailless ones must have bother balancing and apparently controlong body temperature. There a bit like neandertalls and they're only surviving cus we are artificialy supporting them. I suppose we are aftificialy supposting all fncy rats as they would die in the wild. Hmm! But not breeding them would be like saying people whith bad genes should not have babies...
I dunno, i think i just want rats who are healthy and happy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive got a hairless and besides the occasional scratches(and the constant scratching of the eye when cleaning, shes a perfectly healthy rat. just gotta be really careful with em and what you put in their cage because of how easily they get scratched. i really want a harley one. def gonna be the next breed i get.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I really want hooded-silver head and white bottom (sorry i have for gottn the name :) )
Or a ginger head and a white body
Theres a someone near me breeding ex lab rats who live for 4+ years so i think they will be my next rats, not shure what kind they are

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
****Bull...hocky alert!!****

Well quite a few years ago, in the early ratty times a meteor crashed onto the earth! Nothing was around to see it crash and it would of just been forgotten had a little girl and boy rat not happened upon it in an effort to find a quiet and secluded place :wink: They really thought nothing of it, and in the heat of ratty passion got frisky anyway.

A few weeks later, the girl ratty gave birth to rats that looked completely different! They had very sparce CURLY hair! She nearly freaked and thought of the meteor. She tried to recover the meteor but couldn't find it for the life of her. Little did she know the meteor was made of something akin to criptonite and mutated all her rat eggs and all her male friends rat sperm into the hairless gene. That litter lost their hair upon growing up and spawned more hairless rats...

Where the meteor came from is a mystery. Some think aliens threw it down to the earth as a practical joke. Others think it was just a coincidense. Some believe the aliens look exactly like our hairless rats and wished to pass their supperior genetics onto something akin to their primative ancestors. What the truth is will never be truely known but despite all this, we now are gifted with the choice of hair or nair rats XD

·
Registered
133 Posts
i use to have a hairless dumbo i called him gizmo when i got him he looked so ugly he was cute. he was on the small size when i got him he looked like he was way to young to be away from his mom so i put him in with a breeder rat that had babys a little smaller than him he turned out to be one of the best rats i have had he died at 2 1/2 yrs old. i did have breeding pairs of hairless dumbos but most ended up as food my bfs way to make money but gizmo lived like a pampered pet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts