Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rats were hand raised, so they are friendly however they seem very reluctant to leave their cage. I leave the cage door open all evening and they never come out to visit. We've had them for almost two months. Do they get used to it overtime and become more comfortable? Any tricks to convince them it's ok?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you new to owning rat's? I am but have done a lot of research on them and have used this site for help as well. I started out with one rat that I rescued. She and I bonded pretty quickly and she was one of those rat's that liked being on your shoulder while you were going about your day. I got another rat for her from the pet store and it took a couple of days for her to get used to her new home. The rat I rescued takes more work to get her to come out of the cage. I will use treats like pieces of apple or those yogurt treats they sell at pet stores, she loves them. When it comes to the rat I bought from the pet store. She is so curious that the minute that door opens, she is already coming out of the cage. I know the more time you spend with your rats everyday really helps them get used to you and to trust you. I also use treats. If Luna for instance doesn't want to come out then I grab a treat and say her name several times, all while keeping the palm of your hand by the door. Eventually she will come over and have to walk out of the cage onto my palm to get the treat. Once she does I praise her like crazy just like you would a puppy learning new tricks. It takes time and patience with them. They are very smart and usually enjoy having human contact. I think the most important thing is to spend as much time with them as you can. Also treats help a lot specially if you can find out what their favorite treat is. Both of mine have sweet tooth's and little things like a bit of Donut's works really well. I have also heard that giving them a fruit custard baby food or yogurt on a spoon makes it where your rat's can't just take the treat and run, they have to stay near you because your holding the spoon. Good luck to you and your rat's. Just be patient and you will see a difference!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts