Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not in the market for a rat right now, and probably won't be for quite some time, but...

...I've been thinking that, maybe next time, I'd like to get a "specific" kind of rat. The "double-rex" with "dumbo ears" appeals to me.

The only thing is...I have NO idea how to get a specific kind of rat. We have one rescue in the area, and every other place is a pet store. They don't really carry and/or have knowledge of "different types of rats."

So, with a starting point of no knowledge at all, how would you suggest going about finding a double rex dumbo ear male baby rat?

·
Registered
162 Posts
going to the Ratster would be my first thing...then maybe checking out all the dumbo breeders and double rex breeders in your area, hoping to find one that does both? If you want help searching I have so much free time it's scary...just drop me a PM or post here and I will help in your hunt for the perfect baby!

Emy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's "the Ratster?"

AND...

How do I find breeders in my area?

I have a site called "petfinders," but when I went there, it didn't say anything about specific types of rats - mainly, just age and gender.

I would ~love~ to avail myself of your help...but I will have to wait awhile. I can't get a new rat just yet, and I KNOW if you located the "perfect" rat for me, I would die if I couldn't bring him home. So I'll probably be asking for your help in the future.

--------------------------------------

Other questions:

1. What are "PT" rats? Are they healthier than other pet rats?

2. What is a "cavy?" I hear this word associated with rat rescues a lot.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
the ratster is a website of all the rat breeders as updated as it can be anywy where are you located Holly I could do some searching for you?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in San Diego, California, USA, and I would, of course, be grateful for anyone's help...but I cannot, cannot, cannot adopt a new rat right now. I'm just thinking about the future. OK? :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Ratster is the best resource for breeders of rats on the net... here's the link...

http://www.ratster.com/breederlinks.html

You can search by location, by type of rats bred, by breeder prefix and more. It's amazing, but I will warn you some of the sites listed no longer breed, but a lot of them do. You just have to check when the last litter was.

I think for a rat that specific you would have to contact a breeder and try to get them to work on that special boy for you, or find two perfect rats to mate and then talk to the owners...

Petfinders is kinda crappy in my opinion...tried it out during the first month of my rat hunt, and it didn't help me at all. Another place that has a good search option for breeders is the RAMC's breeders page link below

http://www.rmca.org/Resources/breeders.htm

PT - I believe it means pituitary tumor and being as such they would have shortened lifespans. (Correct me if I'm wrong about that)

cavy - any of 14 species of South American rodents comprising guinea pigs, maras, yellow-toothed cavies, mountain cavies, and rock cavies.

Hope all that helps!

Emy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that helps!!! :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
OMG i never realized you were so close to me LoL I am up near sacramento I know of a really really good breeder in the sacramento area and I volunteer for rattie ratz rescue i will keep my eyes and ears peeled fr what you are looking for let me know when you are ready i will pm you my email address cause i am so sparatic in coming here. How far are you willing to travel? if you can make it up to sacramento let me now i know someone who breeds rex dumbos. She is a vet tech too so it is nice to know they are well taken care of. also if you can't make it up this way i can always get a rat train going for you

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm a journalism major and research and such is one of my favorite things to do...lol. I will now be on the lookout for anyone who plans to start a double rex dumbo line of rats in Cali...lol

Emy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, my friends! I'll be sure to let you know when the time is right.

I just didn't feel too good about taking, just, whoever the pet store happens to have at the time I need a rat, y'know?

I will probably be bringing Baby Boy Rat into my life when Gus becomes aged and/or ill. Having a new baby rat coming into my life helps ease the pain of a tried and true friend rat moving on to the next life.

(Of course, I know better than to house them in the same cage.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The excitement of expecting a new baby can help take your mind off almost anything *is in that stage now with two boys on the way* I'm currently awaiting my first two boys ever, and it's insane this waiting thing, I have a countdown on my computer and everything...lol.

While it's nice to rescue a rat from the pet store, it also just helps them get it in their heads to breed more...so yeah. :roll:

Emy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Emy:

You have two ~human~ baby boys on the way?

Or did you mean that you are waiting to get a pair of boy rats?

It reads as though you're going to have twins...and if that's the case, congratulations! How exciting! Post pictures!

But if you are talking about rats - congratulations! How exciting! Post pictures!

(Love 'em all!)

·
Registered
418 Posts
*le gasp* There is a Dumbo Rex breeder in my area? Actually, just clicking on your links I can't believe how many precious ratties are in my area! This is certainly something I'll have to look into in the future when I have room for another (others)!

·
Registered
162 Posts
*giggles* Yeah, I'm waiting for two rat boys, but all my animals end up becoming like my children, so lol. All of my cousins recently had kids, so I think I'll wait a while before I add more, I have four cousins who had boys within 9 months of each other, so we have a lot of little terrors running around because they are all two now...lol

They are supposed to be born on or around the 25th of this month, so as soon as I get pics they will be on here!

Emy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG, that's precious! Like I said, please share pictures with us! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts