Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so i need to clean my rats cage but i needbthem to get in to the playpen while i do it. The problem is i can’t get them in the playpen because they won’t let me grab them and if they go in a tunnel and I try to pick it up they hop out. They are only a few months old and I got them recently so they don’t fully trust me yet. But I really need to clean their cage and I need advice on how to get them in the playpen. The little rascals 🙂

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, so i need to clean my rats cage but i needbthem to get in to the playpen while i do it. The problem is i can’t get them in the playpen because they won’t let me grab them and if they go in a tunnel and I try to pick it up they hop out. They are only a few months old and I got them recently so they don’t fully trust me yet. But I really need to clean their cage and I need advice on how to get them in the playpen. The little rascals 🙂

Do you have a small pet carrier? If so, put a treat at the closed end and hold the open end to the cage door and see if you can entice them into the carrier. They'll be fine there while you clean.

Also, you can try to clean the cage with them in it (not perfect, I know) - they'll most likely go into a tunnel or hide until you're done. Once they've resettled, you can pull the hide or tunnel for cleaning if necessary.

I use to leave Turvy & Gigi in the cage when I cleaned until Turvy decided the gloves I wear when I clean the cage were evil and a threat to Gigi. She then started to attack the gloves (normal blue nitrile gloves) - the only problem is my hand was inside them. :ROFLMAO::

So, now I let them hang out in the carrier - it's a bit more secure than a playpen so they can't escape, while I'm cleaning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I will try to clean the cage with them in it they will probably just go to the space pod or the hanging tunnel and be out of the way of the cleaning. Thx for the advice 🙂

·
Registered
967 Posts
I swiftly and confidently scoop new rats up to bring them out of their cage. I don't give them a choice in the matter. Some new rats are uncomfortable with being picked up but the more I do it, the quicker they realize that it's not so scary after all. Just be sure not to surprise them, chase them around, or corner them as this will cause unnecessary stress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swiftly and confidently scoop new rats up to bring them out of their cage. I don't give them a choice in the matter. Some new rats are uncomfortable with being picked up but the more I do it, the quicker they realize that it's not so scary after all. Just be sure not to surprise them, chase them around, or corner them as this will cause unnecessary stress.
Ok I will try that next time but this time I already cleaned the cage with them in it and it was fine they just went on the opposite floor of the one I was cleaning.

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
92 Posts
I put my 4 in a hamster cage while I clean their CN. I grab them (gently of course) whether they want to go or not. They get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
219 Posts
My guys arent afraid of the hoover as they're used to it, but once I start hoovering out the cage they will go into their space pod and sit in there, they know its cage clean time then and I can usually do everything without them bothering me, it helps to do it in the afternoon when they are sleepy :)

Otherwise I just leave them playing on my bed and be careful but the cage is like right next to it in my room

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you have a small pet carrier? If so, put a treat at the closed end and hold the open end to the cage door and see if you can entice them into the carrier. They'll be fine there while you clean.

Also, you can try to clean the cage with them in it (not perfect, I know) - they'll most likely go into a tunnel or hide until you're done. Once they've resettled, you can pull the hide or tunnel for cleaning if necessary.

I use to leave Turvy & Gigi in the cage when I cleaned until Turvy decided the gloves I wear when I clean the cage were evil and a threat to Gigi. She then started to attack the gloves (normal blue nitrile gloves) - the only problem is my hand was inside them. :ROFLMAO::

So, now I let them hang out in the carrier - it's a bit more secure than a playpen so they can't escape, while I'm cleaning.
I did the same thing with mine. I bought like a $10 pet carrier on Amazon. I first started by opening the cage door and opening the pet carrier and putting the carrier by the door. Rats are naturally curious so they'd sort of go look at it and smell it. Then I started giving them a treat.....in my case yogies, or use chocolate chips, I know it's not ideal but it's a limited number ;)........ when they'd go near or in the carrier. It was a super special treat they ONLY got for going in the carrier. Eventually, rather quickly, they realized if they jump in the carrier they instantly get their favorite special treat!

Pretty soon they'd go crazy as soon as they saw or heard me bring the carrier to the door!! lol. To them the carrier became an awesome item b/c if they went in they got a reward!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found it easiest to remove my rats when I clean their cage. I did leave them in while cleaning, but that was tough because my girls would always try to get loose while I was reaching into the cage for cleaning. Now I put them into an 8-inch diameter plastic hamster ball while cleaning. Because they are sisters and have always lived together they tolerate the small space extremely well. They sit in the ball and watch while I clean, jump into and exit the ball willingly (that took minimal training), which makes cleaning a breeze. I use a cage disinfectant which is supposed to sit on the surface of an area for five minutes before wiping and drying, so leaving them in the cage isn't an option. In any event I do think cleaning the cage, sans rats, is the best option. Just place them in a "container" they tolerate. Good luck. Ken M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts